WANTED: OAK horn for a Victor Victrola XVI

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PHONOMIKE
Victor III

WANTED: OAK horn for a Victor Victrola XVI

Post by PHONOMIKE »

I just picked up a Victor Victrola XVI in oak. It has a few parts missing. Notably the crank, gold tone arm and the horn. The rest of the machine is there. The finish is original and in excellent condition. I would like to bring this beauty back to life. I am going to start my search for a oak horn as I know this will be the hardest to find. The tone arm and crank can come later if I find a horn.

If anyone has one or knows of one can you please let me know. I'll post before and after pics if I can get all the right parts to make her whole again.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
Last edited by PHONOMIKE on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: WANTED: OAK horn for a Victor Victrola XVII

Post by Jerry B. »

A genuine oak VV-XVII is a tall order. Would the cast iron portion of a XVI horn be the same as the XVII? How difficult would it be to modify the oak portion of a XVI horn? Another option might be to take a mahogany XVII horn and give it a painted faux oak finish.

Of course I hope you find an original oak XVII horn.

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: WANTED: OAK horn for a Victor Victrola XVI

Post by Jerry B. »

Well, life got easier for Mike. An oak XVI horn should not be too difficult. Jerry

mattrx
Victor IV

Post by mattrx »

Mike,
I have a tone arm and back bracket, when the time comes.
Good Luck!
Matt

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

I have found the correct metal part of the horn. Now I just need the oak wood part to attach to it. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

OK change that. I thought I had the correct metal horn. I lined up the horn from the top deck. The bolt pattern lined up for both the horn holes and bracket holes. So I decided to install it while I waited to find the oak horn parts.

But when I tried to install it, the motor was in the way of the metal horn opening. It pushed it down pulling the horn flange away from the decking. I could only get 1 bolt in and the horn was on an angle, not tight to the board and would not work properly at all. (Hope this all made sense) The motor is correct for the machine.

So my search continues for a complete oak horn for a XVI. Check your parts please and let me know if you have one available. Thanks.

Mike