FOR SALE: Victor VI Talking Machine - $3250

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: FOR SALE: Victor VI Talking Machine - Inquire

Post by OrthoFan »

GregVTLA wrote:Very nice machine! Your grandmother must’ve been very well off. This was the best you could buy until the VTLA / XVI was introduced, but nowadays no other machine seems to have the magic that this one does. I’d love to buy it, but I have nowhere near the amount of funds necessary for a machine like this. I hope it goes to a great home!
Greg
When you stop to think about it, it would have more likely been purchased by Nick's great-grandmother, or even his great-great grandmother.

I just turned 60, and am well old enough to be a grandfather. My own grandmother passed away at age 91, 21 years ago. She was born in 1906, which was about the time that Nick's Vic.VI left the factory. That means that if this talking machine had been a part of my grandmother's childhood, it would have been purchased by her parents--both of whom were born in the 1870s.

Kinda' scary to think about how time marches on!

My mother--who was a great-grandmother and passed away at age 90 last year--bought her first phonograph when she was 21. It was an Arvin 151-TC like this one -- https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/arvin_151 ... c_chr.html It was still in use until about the early 1970s. (Wish I had it today. :cry: )

------------------------------------------------------

Nick, have you had a chance to do any research concerning the machine's history with your family? Are there any very old relatives who might know something about it? Though not necessarily from a monetary standpoint, provenance always adds to the value of an object.

OrthoFan

Nickwoska
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Grandmas attic

Post by Nickwoska »

So... All I've been able to find out about the machine is that it was originally purchased by my grandfathers father, so my great grandfather. My grandfather passed quite some time ago, but from what my grandmother (85 years old, that's who will be receiving the help from the money) recalls, the horn and machine were polished once a month, and was at the top of a collection for many years. Since my grandfathers passing, it has been collecting dust in the attic, with no interest or even knowledge of it being there from my grandmother. That's why I took it, learned more about it, and did all this research. She and I would much rather see it go to someone who can truly appreciate the machine, and will enjoy it for what it is, that's why it's currently up for sale. I have decided I'll be asking $3750 for the machine, and am open to some negotiation. If I can't find a fairly local buyer within the next few weeks, I may put it up for an auction on Ebay, or consider taking it down to the trade show in New Jersey in June. I appreciate EVERYONE's advice and help during this process, and I hope to see it enjoyed by someone who truly can. I continue my searching tomorrow in my grandmothers attic, and although the chances seem slim as of now, if I come across the turntable brake, I'll keep the post up to date. Thanks again for your help everyone

Nickwoska
Victor Jr

Post by Nickwoska »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Housekeeping stopped by and cleaned up the detritus. If you aren't interesting in buying the machine or have something constructive to say - just don't.

Best of luck with the sale, someone will inevitably come forth and offer this lovely machine a new home and a little TLC.
I appreciate the help. You do a wonderful job maintaining the page. Hope you're doing well

Nickwoska
Victor Jr

Re: FOR SALE: Victor VI Talking Machine - $3750

Post by Nickwoska »

I also thought this was a very interesting find... An original spare needle case, and some needles. Heres some pics of it, I know it wasn't clear in the others
Attachments
IMG_1202.jpg
IMG_1201.jpg

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Hi Nick,

I am very happy you found the Forum. As you have seen, there are lots of great people willing to give helpful advice.
I also belueve you are asking a very fair price for your lovely machine as is, and I wish you all the best in your sale. I have really enjoyed reading what you have shared about how you found it, and its provenance.

And thanks to Brandon for not only his spot-on advice, but also for coming to your rescue by pulling in the reins on this thread to ensure that only good will prevails.

Very best wishes,

Steven

long_island_phono
Victor II

Post by long_island_phono »

I'd be curious to know who was responsible for refinishing the cabinet. It looks like they did not use any grain filler so the finish is not even. It was obviously a project in the works hence the removal of cabinet hardware. I wonder where the rest of the collection went?

-Jake
Last edited by long_island_phono on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Nick, I was a little hesitant to say anything on this thread. I have seen many times that someone will post a desirable machine and ask for offers. Then it would be an impromptu auction, pitting collectors and causing animosity. Or,they would glean information and put it up for sale on ebay. This is not the case with you. You seem to be forthright with integrity, and I applaud that. The price you are asking is very fair, and I hope one of the members will buy and restore this machine to it's former glory. Good luck with the sale.
Harvey Kravitz

Nickwoska
Victor Jr

Post by Nickwoska »

long_island_phono wrote:I'd be curious to know who was responsible for refinishing the cabinet. It looks like they did not use any grain filler so the finish is not even. It was obviousl a project in the works hence the removal of cabinet hardware. I wonder where the rest of the coection went?

-Jake
My grandfather was very sick for a long time before passing away (7 strokes), so I wouldnt doubt that he was attempting to restore the finish and it resulted in that

Nickwoska
Victor Jr

Post by Nickwoska »

Phonofreak wrote:Nick, I was a little hesitant to say anything on this thread. I have seen many times that someone will post a desirable machine and ask for offers. Then it would be an impromptu auction, pitting collectors and causing animosity. Or,they would glean information and put it up for sale on ebay. This is not the case with you. You seem to be forthright with integrity, and I applaud that. The price you are asking is very fair, and I hope one of the members will buy and restore this machine to it's former glory. Good luck with the sale.
Harvey Kravitz
I appreciate the kind words. Hoping the same thing! Thanks a lot

long_island_phono
Victor II

Post by long_island_phono »

Nickwoska wrote:
long_island_phono wrote:I'd be curious to know who was responsible for refinishing the cabinet. It looks like they did not use any grain filler so the finish is not even. It was obviously a project in the works hence the removal of cabinet hardware. I wonder where the rest of the collection went?

-Jake
My grandfather was very sick for a long time before passing away (7 strokes), so I wouldnt doubt that he was attempting to restore the finish and it resulted in that
Very sad to hear but that makes sense regarding the finish. I assume the rest of the collection is long gone?

-Jake