Wanted: Edison standard f carriage and bedplate tag

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Wanted: Edison standard f carriage and bedplate tag

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

The title says it all. I'm looking for a carriage and bedplate tag for a standard model f machine.

Thank you,
Stephen

martinola
Victor III

Re: Wanted: Edison standard f carriage and bedplate tag

Post by martinola »

Hi Stephen.
Is your tag missing - or are you converting from another model? If you have it and it's simply damaged, I can possibly help in its restoration. Undoubtedly you'll eventually see either the parts or a whole machine pop up. You don't see them as often, but they are out there.
Regards,
Martin

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

The other hard to aquire aer is an S reproducer good luck with the search !...... :)

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

I have a model d standard and would to convert it over to a model f standard. The bedplate on the machine is an early one with the simple grass tufts in the corners. For the conversion I'm going to use another bedplate that I still need to restore. I already have a rebuilt s reproducer so that part is taken care of.

Thanks,
Stephen

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

If the early model D is mostly complete, might I suggest keeping it together and seeking a suitably late case for the "model F"? The really early model Ds are not very plentiful. What ever you do, please promise me to document what you end up doing and keep it with the machine. Stuff like this can potentially mess up the historic record. If you do decide to go with finding a late case, I've got an extra one that is pretty late and would be appropriate. In any case, good luck with your quest.
Regards,
Martin

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

I have an F that was aquired sans case ....and I was looking at the one that sold recently on eBay and my presumtions were partly confirmed 1 the correct case was NOT set up for a Front crane no metal slot on the bottom and no notch under the lid
ether because it had a ctgnet horn and rear bracket I would think that would only be the case ( no pun intended ) on machines that were true ( non restruck ) D machines like mine Wonder if i am correct?

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

My standard d is already a mixture of parts. It is my first cylinder machine. When I first bought the machine when I was 13 years old the bedplate was in horrible shape. The case also had several issues. Since then I have bought the bedplate that's on the machine now and a couple days ago I got a much nicer late model d,e,f case with decent original finish. If this machine were a completely original example of an early model d I certainly would not consider converting it to a model f, but because it's not I have no qualms against it.

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Vinrage_mania wrote:I have an F that was aquired sans case ....and I was looking at the one that sold recently on eBay and my presumtions were partly confirmed 1 the correct case was NOT set up for a Front crane no metal slot on the bottom and no notch under the lid
ether because it had a ctgnet horn and rear bracket I would think that would only be the case ( no pun intended ) on machines that were true ( non restruck ) D machines like mine Wonder if i am correct?
The model F cases I've seen (disregarding the obvious case swaps) all had the vestigial notch with slot (for the model D type straight horn) even though they came with the cygnet crane bracket on the rear. My case (#790302) has this with holes on the bottom for a metal crane foot holder. The Late style cases for these were variants with finger-jointed lid moulding corners and the lid clips were the 3 screw type (rather than the more common 4 screw type).

Here's a copy of the latest data sheet for Standards:
Edison_Std_Data_05_10_18.xls
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
The details for each entry are at the far right (column Q).

Best regards,
Martin

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Another important detail is the lid securing tabs have three holes instead of four. I believe this started with the Model E. Both my Standard E and F have the tabs with three holes. Besides the typical case swap, did the Model F use Model D cases until the old stock was used up? In other models, Edison used up old stock. I have seen examples of the Model F with a Model D tag that was stamped out, and F was in the space next to it.
Harvey Kravitz

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Harvey

Mine was re struck as an F ....It would seem logical that it was originally in a D case , machine serial 785076

Martin that Database is awesome. .!! :D