WANTED: Edison cylinder phonograph

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Uaisgood
Victor Jr

WANTED: Edison cylinder phonograph

Post by Uaisgood »

Hi, this is my second post since the other one disappeared? Does anyone have a working Edison cylinder phonograph they could give away for free since I can’t afford one right now? Thanks.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: WANTED: Edison cylinder phonograph

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Uaisgood wrote:Hi, this is my second post since the other one disappeared?
Please take a minute to read some of the rules here.

chrisg
Victor III

Post by chrisg »

Yeah
Attachments
i-dont-always-get-free-stuff-but-when-i-do-i-make-sure-its-top-q.jpg
i-dont-always-get-free-stuff-but-when-i-do-i-make-sure-its-top-q.jpg (139.6 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

Zwebie
Victor IV
Personal Text: We are only the caretakers for future generations.

Post by Zwebie »

Does anyone have a working Edison cylinder phonograph they could give away for free since I can’t afford one right now? Thanks.
Sounds to me like another Millennial looking for a hand out!

Oh, please, please give me something of great value, just because I exist!

Uaisgood, please take the time to explain a valid reason why we should even consider your request?

99.9% of the people here on the Forum have worked hard and saved to purchase an item we wanted, or done the footwork to find a bargain.

What makes you any different?

Just my 2 cents, Bob S.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Zwebie wrote:
Does anyone have a working Edison cylinder phonograph they could give away for free since I can’t afford one right now? Thanks.
Sounds to me like another Millennial looking for a hand out!

Oh, please, please give me something of great value, just because I exist!

Uaisgood, please take the time to explain a valid reason why we should even consider your request?

99.9% of the people here on the Forum have worked hard and saved to purchase an item we wanted, or done the footwork to find a bargain.

What makes you any different?

Just my 2 cents, Bob S.
I love it ....I will just box up my Edison School machine fo ya

Bob can i please have your 2 cents?.....but will you come to my house with it??......after all it is the least you can do! :roll:

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I'm an old guy and may not have a long time to live... I have never owned a Victor VI or an Auxetophone and would love to have one before I leave... Someone please ship me one, since I can't afford one... :roll: :lol: For that matter, I'll take anything for free...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

cmshapiro
Victor I

Post by cmshapiro »

You might want to be a bit more clear on which free machine your looking for. Maybe a Class M or a Bergmann tinfoil? If going for the free route might as well max out your gain!

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Are you for real??? :roll: I have been in this hobby for nearly 30 years. I had to work hard and save to get my machines. A few times I have to put them on a layaway. Sometimes it was horse trading. Maybe you should look up Government grants or subsidies to get your freebie. :P :squirrel: :monkey: If anyone is passing out free machines, let me know, so I can stand in line. :lol: :lol: I'll raise my ante to three cents. :lol: :lol:
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm gonna offer a little bit different opinion here.

First off, I certainly understand everybody's feelings about this.

That said, I see long time collectors bemoaning the fact that no new collectors are joining the hobby, and no younger ones especially, thus limiting interest and driving down prices, etc.

We don't know anything about the OP. He may be a beginning collector, may be a young beginning collector, may be a collector down on his luck, or he may even be a she.

I've seen collectors right on this forum offer common but decent machines for free to young beginning collectors.

I'm leaning towards the old saying here- "you never know unless you ask". How many of us are here today because a senior collector in our past went above and beyond to help us with something?

So- OP- tell us about yourself and most important where you're located. Shipping these boat anchors ain't cheap!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

gramophone-georg wrote:I'm gonna offer a little bit different opinion here.

First off, I certainly understand everybody's feelings about this.

That said, I see long time collectors bemoaning the fact that no new collectors are joining the hobby, and no younger ones especially, thus limiting interest and driving down prices, etc.

We don't know anything about the OP. He may be a beginning collector, may be a young beginning collector, may be a collector down on his luck, or he may even be a she.

I've seen collectors right on this forum offer common but decent machines for free to young beginning collectors.

I'm leaning towards the old saying here- "you never know unless you ask". How many of us are here today because a senior collector in our past went above and beyond to help us with something?

So- OP- tell us about yourself and most important where you're located. Shipping these boat anchors ain't cheap!

well normally I would be a complete cynic and poo poo the idea of doing what George suggests but it is true i have a machine or two (not edison) I would give to a younger collector ....( although I really do not know why age has anything to do with it) I think I am a bit jaded .....and this is after all the INTERNET where 99.999999% is BS mybe just this time :)
Last edited by Vinrage_mania on Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.