FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phono - Oak C 19 $175

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phonos - C 19 & B 19

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:I have seen both these machines, and they're solid. I think the B 19 could be easily cleaned up with a little denatured alcohol or mineral spirits. It looks like someone brushed on some stain to "improve" it.

The C 19 could be a real looker in its golden oak cabinet. If you have even basic woodworking/refinishing skills, this cabinet is readily restorable.

If anyone is interested in these machines, I may be able to bring one or both to the Wayne show in October for no charge.

George P.
Thank you, George!

You're right about the B 19; it doesn't really look half bad the way it is, either. The camera's flash seems to accentuate defects pretty profoundly sometimes.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phonos - C 19 & B 19

Post by fran604g »

*BUMP to the top.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phono - Oak C 19

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

I've decided to keep the B 19, and have removed it from this listing.

Best,
Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phono - Oak C 19 $175

Post by fran604g »

*PRICE DROP - NOW $175*

Hiya folks,

I reiterate, this C 19 is a good solid running/performing Phonograph. I won't be dropping the price any lower, given the reproducer has a good stylus, and it sounds great, IMHO. I hate the idea of it living in my barn, but if it needs to, it will be stored safe and dry till I find it a new home.

Local pickup is in Hemlock, NY (about 30 minutes south of Rochester), but George P. has indicated he might be able to transport it to the fall Wayne show. This is a relatively heavy machine, so I'd rather it be picked up at my home -- I can provide some lunch. :)

PM me with any interest, please.

Thank you,
Fran Pratt

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Holy cow. Golden oak, a good reproducer, those rare transitional drawers, and even an Edison key? For $175. Not too long ago I'd have bought this myself!

If someone needs this transported to Union in June, I can make that happen (no charge). Also, as Fran said, this can be brought to the Wayne show (also gratis).

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

*PRICE DROP - NOW $175*

Hiya folks,

I reiterate, this C 19 is a good solid running/performing Phonograph. I won't be dropping the price any lower, given the reproducer has a good stylus, and it sounds great, IMHO. I hate the idea of it living in my barn, but if it needs to, it will be stored safe and dry till I find it a new home.

Local pickup is in Hemlock, NY (about 30 minutes south of Rochester), but George P. has indicated he might be able to transport it to the fall Wayne show. This is a relatively heavy machine, so I'd rather it be picked up at my home -- I can provide some lunch. :)

PM me with any interest, please.

Thank you,
Fran Pratt

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

The C-250/C-19 is, in my opinion, the best looking mass-produced upright ever made. That's obviously highly subjective (although I think it's obvious. To me, the Chippendale beats anything mass-produced by Victor). Not to mention that, to me, Edison discs through a 250 horn sound absurdly better than any other 100% acoustic system. If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd be measuring and seeing what door or window I didn't really need access to...

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Jwb88 wrote:The C-250/C-19 is, in my opinion, the best looking mass-produced upright ever made. That's obviously highly subjective (although I think it's obvious. To me, the Chippendale beats anything mass-produced by Victor). Not to mention that, to me, Edison discs through a 250 horn sound absurdly better than any other 100% acoustic system. If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd be measuring and seeing what door or window I didn't really need access to...
I agree with you completely. The potential (I only use the word "potential" because of the notoriously poor records of the WWI period) Edison sound was (still is) IMHO unrivalled by anything produced until the reentrant/exponential horn age of the mid-20's. The electrically recorded Diamond Discs I've heard sound pretty incredible, too.

As for my opinion of the Edison Chippendale, I'm unabashedly fond of this model in particular -- as those who know me well, will attest. :D

Best,
Fran

Last bumped by fran604g on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:13 am.