FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phono - Oak C 19 $175

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phono - Oak C 19 $175

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

I'm interested in selling 1 of my "surplus" Edison Diamond Disc Phonos (I had to make room for other additions recently). Price is firm and fair, in my opinion.

Oak C 19 - $175. Full disclosure: This machine has been assembled from spare parts I've acquired over the past several years, so read carefully.

- Oak cabinet from a donor C 250, dated by paper label inside the horn cavity as 9-16.
- Mechanism from C 19 #75,339 with a horn from C 250 #23,481. (It's a long story). Motor runs great! Smooth, quiet, and consitent.
- Scarce "Transitional" record storage compartment drawers featuring the individual vertical "slots", from C 19 #75,339, in VERY GOOD condition!
- Gold plated reproducer #88,485 with GOOD stylus (sounds very nice, too, imho).
- Comes with "E" key in good condition.
- Both locks function properly.
- I have installed a set of "10/12" record size selectors on it.
- GREAT beginner machine that can be used as is -- or for the right person, restored.

The BAD:

- Cabinet in relatively poor condition - will need to be re-veneered on sides and rear, and adequately refinished.
- Cabinet missing some trim pieces, but some replacements are included to help with any restoration efforts.
- Missing record storage door ball/spring catch. ALL other hardware is present.
20180621_121016 (Large).jpg
20180621_121046 (Large).jpg
20180621_121658 (Large).jpg
20180621_121137 (Large).jpg
20180621_121255 (Large).jpg
20180621_121156 (Large).jpg
20180621_121740 (Large).jpg
20180621_121116 (Large).jpg
20180621_123243 (Large).jpg
For now, local pickup is mandated in Hemlock, NY (about 30 minutes south of Rochester).

PM me with any interest, please.

Thank you,
Fran Pratt
Last edited by fran604g on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Diamond Disc Phonos - C 19 & B 19

Post by fran604g »

*EDIT -- 7-30-2018*

After careful consideration, the Rouge B 19 offered here for sale is withdrawn. I wasn't that keen to sell it, as I like it very much, and it's the only example of a table-top Diamond Disc Phonograph I currently own.

Thanks for the interest and/or comments.

Best,
Fran
Last edited by fran604g on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

* Record cabinet under B 19 NOT INCLUDED. :)

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I have seen both these machines, and they're solid. I think the B 19 could be easily cleaned up with a little denatured alcohol or mineral spirits. It looks like someone brushed on some stain to "improve" it.

The C 19 could be a real looker in its golden oak cabinet. If you have even basic woodworking/refinishing skills, this cabinet is readily restorable.

If anyone is interested in these machines, I may be able to bring one or both to the Wayne show in October for no charge.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I am wondering about the reproducer on the B 19: I have a very early A 80, which came with a later 'cast lug' reproducer on it (A series). It had been bought by the seller's grandparents shortly after they emigrated: the original discs that came with it seemed to be around 1915/16.

It may be that the machine had sat unsold for a couple of years; and that the dealer might have upgraded the reproducer (and apparently added some grille cloth) to make it more salable to an immigrant buyer.

Would it be preferable, I wonder, to keep that reproducer as (possibly) part of the machine's history; or replace it with a more 'authentic' early model? I have had this reproducer restored, and might be willing to trade it for the B 19 reproducer.

Bill

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Lucius1958 wrote:I am wondering about the reproducer on the B 19: I have a very early A 80, which came with a later 'cast lug' reproducer on it (A series). It had been bought by the seller's grandparents shortly after they emigrated: the original discs that came with it seemed to be around 1915/16.

It may be that the machine had sat unsold for a couple of years; and that the dealer might have upgraded the reproducer (and apparently added some grille cloth) to make it more salable to an immigrant buyer.

Would it be preferable, I wonder, to keep that reproducer as (possibly) part of the machine's history; or replace it with a more 'authentic' early model? I have had this reproducer restored, and might be willing to trade it for the B 19 reproducer.

Bill
As you correctly note, the A-80 would have most likely been offered with bolt on stylus bar mount reproducer, and grill cloth. I've acquired multiple A model machines over the years that for some reason came with the later reproducer. In those cases, I've usually replaced it with the earlier reproducer because I'm guessing they've just been switched around over the years. Usually though, unless I know the late style reproducer was a recent add, I've also kept the one that came with the machine.

So... especially in this case where your late style has already been rebuilt, you might consider keeping it and also finding an early one for your A-80. The late style will always sound a bit better. Those early ones had a metal sleeve which narrows the opening a bit and noticeably restricts the sound. :monkey:

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Lucius1958 wrote:I have had this reproducer restored, and might be willing to trade it for the B 19 reproducer.
Bill
Bill,

At the moment, I'm not interested in trading any parts off of the B 19. I just want to sell it complete as is. If however, any potential buyer is serious about buying the B 19, but strongly requests I put the original reproducer back with it, we could talk.

Best regards,
Fran

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

fran604g wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:I have had this reproducer restored, and might be willing to trade it for the B 19 reproducer.
Bill
Bill,

At the moment, I'm not interested in trading any parts off of the B 19. I just want to sell it complete as is. If however, any potential buyer is serious about buying the B 19, but strongly requests I put the original reproducer back with it, we could talk.

Best regards,
Fran
OK: just throwing the idea out there. :)

Bill

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Two of my most favorite machines!

If only I didn’t have a Chippendale and a B-19 in my project pile. My Chippendale is a fixer upper and I already have more invested in it than your price. They are, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful uprights ever made. And the B-19 is a great machine, as portable as an Edison disc machine gets beyond the A&N model (which isn’t exactly portable either). I drug my sad-looking B-19 out to the backyard a few weeks ago and it was great.

Hope these find good homes. If not, I’ll volunteer going door to door with them, asking if the resident has a moment to hear about the wonderful New Edison :lol:

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Jwb88 wrote: Hope these find good homes. If not, I’ll volunteer going door to door with them, asking if the resident has a moment to hear about the wonderful New Edison :lol:
Now, that's the spirit! :lol:

You'll end up with a back like mine, though. Except worse... ;)

Cheers,
Fran