FOR SALE: Big lot of popular organ, mostly scroll - $25.00

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

FOR SALE: Big lot of popular organ, mostly scroll - $25.00

Post by drh »

I have for sale 22 Victor black scroll label Orthophonic 10" records (2 RCA, the rest Victor Talking Machine Co.), one black "batwings" label electric Victor, and two sets on later American Decca--album no. 263 (5 10" records, blue labels) and album no. A-548 (black "Personality Series" label, 4 10" records). All feature Jesse Crawford on organ.

Most are solo, but a few of the Victors have assisting artists: vocalists Paul Small (22066, "My Sin" and "Singin' in the Rain"; 22112 "I'll Always be in Love with You" and "I Get the Blues when it Rains"--gee, the guy needed to make up his mind!), guitarist Carson Robison (20458, "In a Little Spanish Town" and "Just a Bird's-Eye View of my Old Kentucky Home," on which Robison also whistles), and dance band Jean Goldkette's Book-Cadillac Hotel Orchestra, Owen A. Bartlett, dir. (20257, "I'd Love to Call You my Sweetheart" and "Kentucky Lullaby"). One, 20595-B, "So Blue," is a family affair: the label proudly states "Based on a Theme by Mrs. Jesse Crawford."

Condition is nothing to crow about. I have not played any of the them, but these appear to be what a friend calls "steel needle records"; all show at least some wear, some quite a lot of it. I've weeded out three more Victors that were so grey and dull I doubt they're even playable--but if somebody wants them, I'll throw them in at no further charge. The Deccas mostly look pretty clean, the Victors (not surprisingly) mostly, but not entirely, less so. I'd say they would be perfect for the Orthophonic Victrola owner who wants records to play without feeling guilty about putting wear on pristine copies.

I'm asking $25 plus actual postage for the lot. I'm not willing to split these up, as they are early fruits of a project to clear storage space, and the goal is to get them out of here! I live in Silver Spring, Maryland; if someone local would like to pick them up in person, I'll be happy to make arrangements. Thanks to some wifely pressure, I can't store them for any length of time.

As an aside, I'll confess I didn't know Crawford recorded for Decca, or so late. You learn something new every day. I'll further confess that, as a classical/operatic collector, my delight in discovering I had these was rivaled only by that of finding I had not one but two copies of "Uncle Josh in a Barber Shop" on blue amberol... :lol:

Last bumped by drh on Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:56 pm.