WANTED: External gramophone horn (preferably green)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Thorhallur
Victor O

WANTED: External gramophone horn (preferably green)

Post by Thorhallur »

I'm looking for a morning glory horn for my gramophone. If anyone is selling, please contact me

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: WANTED: External gramophone horn (preferably green)

Post by Jerry B. »

I'm a little confused about what you wish to find. The term "gramophone" suggests you are looking for a horn for a disc machine and not a horn for a cylinder machine. Is this true?

Jerry Blais

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

I hope that Thorhallur is from Iceland as the name suggests. I think the first Icelandic collector I have heard of. In Europe Gramophone / Grammophon is a disc phonograph, so I'm with Jerry on disc machine.

And the next question would be what is the make of the machine as some machines had specific horns, and also different ways the horn fitted with the disc phonograph.

Obviously good to know where in the world you are as postage of horns = $$$

Thorhallur
Victor O

Post by Thorhallur »

Jerry B. wrote:I'm a little confused about what you wish to find. The term "gramophone" suggests you are looking for a horn for a disc machine and not a horn for a cylinder machine. Is this true?

Jerry Blais

Yes, sorry I didn't specify. I'm looking for one for a disc machine

Thorhallur
Victor O

Post by Thorhallur »

Sidewinder wrote:I hope that Thorhallur is from Iceland as the name suggests. I think the first Icelandic collector I have heard of. In Europe Gramophone / Grammophon is a disc phonograph, so I'm with Jerry on disc machine.

And the next question would be what is the make of the machine as some machines had specific horns, and also different ways the horn fitted with the disc phonograph.

Obviously good to know where in the world you are as postage of horns = $$$
I am indeed Icelandic and am located in Iceland, but I'm used to high shipping costs. For example, I had a 1915 model Victrola X shipped to Iceland from the United States, and that cost me 1600 USD just for shipping + customs. I don't have an external horn gramophone as of yet, and my girlfriend will only accept me buying one and keeping it in our living room if it will have a green horn. Therefor I'm asking just to see what's out there

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I emailed some photos of an Aretino that I'm selling. It has a GREEN horn! :)

Jerry Blais

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

The little rear mount Aretino with GREEN horn is on its way to Iceland. Jerry Blais

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Jerry B. wrote:The little rear mount Aretino with GREEN horn is on its way to Iceland. Jerry Blais
Well that should make the OP and his girl friend happy! :D

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I found it quite easy to ship to Iceland. I send the Aretino in two double boxed cartons requiring the purchase of a total of four cartons. The horn, several records, and the crank went in one carton which in turn went into a slightly larger carton with packing peanuts in between. In a slightly smaller set of cartons I packed the cabinet with motor, back bracket with tone arm assembly and the turntable. One carton was nearly 17 pounds and the other carton was slightly less than 25 pounds. The total cost for both very large cartons was $217.10. I expected the cost to be higher.

Jerry Blais