Wanted:Any 1930's record of this song:You're The One For Me?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
marco
Victor II

Wanted:Any 1930's record of this song:You're The One For Me?

Post by marco »

I am not sure of the correct title or artist of this song. It also went with the same Mills Hi-Boy that I sold. I thought it might be an early Dorsey Brother's 78. Definately a 1930's hit on an 1930's Electric 78. I do remember the words of the song if that helps:

You've got what I'm after -- and it suits me to a "T"
Oh there's no two ways about it -- you're the one for me
I'm a social climber -- you're in High Society
Oh there's no two ways about it -- you're the one for me

Incidentally speaking of perfection -- you're my connection
You've got that per-son-ality

What a combination you and I could always be
Oh there's no two ways about it -- you're the one for me...

If you know of title and artist it would help a great bit.

If you also have a copy for sale--please PM me with Title, Artist, Condition plus Price and Shipping. Never had any luck with a saved EBAY search.

Thanks again, everyone!
Mark Roberts

howardpgh
Victor II

Re: Wanted:Any 1930's record of this song:You're The One For

Post by howardpgh »

This song was featured in an Our Gang Comedy movie called something like the follies of 1938. The one where Alfalfa sings Learn to Croon at the end after being a failure as an opera singer. Annie Ross was also in the movie singing Loch Lomond. The other song in the movie was The Love Bug is Gonna Get You if you don't watch out.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Sounds like "There's no two ways about it". The Frankie Newtown version is very good and is easy to find on the 1980's album "1930's, The Small Combos".

https://youtu.be/ydGsXP3oJZc

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

There's this version, sounding very Fats Waller-esque (makes me wonder if he recorded it himself on Victor?) Never heard of Jonah Jones until I located this track....

https://youtu.be/RmoO9FbP8Go

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Kirkwood wrote:There's this version, sounding very Fats Waller-esque (makes me wonder if he recorded it himself on Victor?) Never heard of Jonah Jones until I located this track....

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

I will admit that the Little Rascals short where Alfalfa was "King Crooner" and that included many of the hit songs of the day was my first exposure to that type of music as a pre-teen.

Once I purchased a greenhouse full of mid 1930's hit records in Mint Condition. There were over 300 of them mostly Victor Orthophonics, Brunswick Full Range Recordings, Decca Shadow Label, Columbia Viva-Tonals, some Okeh; and lots of labels that either had one or both of the Dorsey Brothers credited and non-credited performances. I filled my late 1920's and early 1930's jukeboxes with them and fell in love with that music. From the "rascals" short I found original hits like "The Love Bug Will Bite You" by Jimmy Dorsey and His Orch on Decca Shadow, "That Foolish Feeling" by Tommy Dorsey on Early electric victor orthophonic, "Learn To Croon" by Bing Crosby on earlier Brunswick electric Which made me want as many early Crosby's as I could find), a couple by Louis Armstrong on Okeh Electric and Decca Shadow, etc... At one time I had all of the actual records of the songs represented in that "short." I gradually sold off all of my earliest jukeboxes and had the bad habit of selling them without the records on them; but sometimes I would wait until a person picked up a jukebox to demonstrate it--then would remove my records and substitute several lesser known records of the same eras. Sometimes I would not get all of my records out of the sold jukeboxes; and this is one song that I have agonized over trying to remember who I had it by. I keep wanting to say that I had a Dorsey Brothers version or an early Tommy Dorsey version of the song--whatever--it was by a popular artist--I just can't remember who. The songs suggested on YouTube are versions of the song that I need to replace. Unfortunately I have run across lesser known versions that were billed both as "There's No Two Ways About It;" and as "You're The One For Me." At least now I know that the composer and one of the artists was Jonah Jones and he titled it "There's No Two Ways About It." I have saved searches on EBAY for the title both ways and one day hopefully the version I remember will come up for sale.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

marco wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:There's this version, sounding very Fats Waller-esque (makes me wonder if he recorded it himself on Victor?) Never heard of Jonah Jones until I located this track....

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far.

I will admit that the Little Rascals short where Alfalfa was "King Crooner" and that included many of the hit songs of the day was my first exposure to that type of music as a pre-teen.

Once I purchased a greenhouse full of mid 1930's hit records in Mint Condition. There were over 300 of them mostly Victor Orthophonics, Brunswick Full Range Recordings, Decca Shadow Label, Columbia Viva-Tonals, some Okeh; and lots of labels that either had one or both of the Dorsey Brothers credited and non-credited performances. I filled my late 1920's and early 1930's jukeboxes with them and fell in love with that music. From the "rascals" short I found original hits like "The Love Bug Will Bite You" by Jimmy Dorsey and His Orch on Decca Shadow, "That Foolish Feeling" by Tommy Dorsey on Early electric victor orthophonic, "Learn To Croon" by Bing Crosby on earlier Brunswick electric Which made me want as many early Crosby's as I could find), a couple by Louis Armstrong on Okeh Electric and Decca Shadow, etc... At one time I had all of the actual records of the songs represented in that "short." I gradually sold off all of my earliest jukeboxes and had the bad habit of selling them without the records on them; but sometimes I would wait until a person picked up a jukebox to demonstrate it--then would remove my records and substitute several lesser known records of the same eras. Sometimes I would not get all of my records out of the sold jukeboxes; and this is one song that I have agonized over trying to remember who I had it by. I keep wanting to say that I had a Dorsey Brothers version or an early Tommy Dorsey version of the song--whatever--it was by a popular artist--I just can't remember who. The songs suggested on YouTube are versions of the song that I need to replace. Unfortunately I have run across lesser known versions that were billed both as "There's No Two Ways About It;" and as "You're The One For Me." At least now I know that the composer and one of the artists was Jonah Jones and he titled it "There's No Two Ways About It." I have saved searches on EBAY for the title both ways and one day hopefully the version I remember will come up for sale.
It's too late for the Dorsey Brothers together, and according to Rust neither Tommy nor Jimmy recorded it unless they did and it isn't listed, which isn't likely.

I'll keep looking as time allows. Not a lot of info out there!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Composers were Harold Adamson and Jimmy McHugh, and it's from the 1937 movie soundtrack "Top Of The Town".

The Frankie Newton version was released on Variety 550... likely a scarce one.

Sent you a PM. :)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek