WANTED Fullotone Tonearm

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
rmholbert
Victor Jr

WANTED Fullotone Tonearm

Post by rmholbert »

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1928/9 Fullotone with a broken tone arm and I'm looking to replace it. The arm is broken at the base where it meets the cabinet and doesn't look to be repairable. I have attached a few photos of the broken item for reference as well as a photo of the cabinet itself. I would greatly appreciate any information about where to locate one or just any general information about these Fullotone phonographs. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image3.jpeg (78.64 KiB) Viewed 762 times
image7.jpeg
image7.jpeg (134.16 KiB) Viewed 762 times
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (87.66 KiB) Viewed 762 times
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (47.2 KiB) Viewed 762 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: WANTED Fullotone Tonearm

Post by epigramophone »

Fullotone was the brand name of The Cabinet Gramophone Company of Camden, London, founded in 1918/19 by Charles McDougal. In 1929 it was re-formed as Fullotone Gramophones (1929) Limited, and after WW2 Albert McDougal (son?) became a television dealer trading as Puratone.

Fullotone machines used bought in components which they assembled into cabinets of their own manufacture, so your tonearm would have come from one of their trade suppliers and was probably fitted to other more than one make of gramophone. UK eBay might be your best chance of finding a replacement.

Fullotone claimed to be London's largest gramophone mail order business, and the picture shows their London premises in about 1927.
Attachments
Image.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: WANTED Fullotone Tonearm

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote:Fullotone was the brand name of The Cabinet Gramophone Company of Camden, London, founded in 1918/19 by Charles McDougal. In 1929 it was re-formed as Fullotone Gramophones (1929) Limited, and after WW2 Albert McDougal (son?) became a television dealer trading as Puratone.

Fullotone machines used bought in components which they assembled into cabinets of their own manufacture, so your tonearm would have come from one of their trade suppliers and was probably fitted to other more than one make of gramophone. UK eBay might be your best chance of finding a replacement.

Fullotone claimed to be London's largest gramophone mail order business, and the picture shows their London premises in about 1927.
I recently bought an 'off brand' gramophone (so off brand it had no maker name) which had a 'Puratone' sound box. (The lettering style is so fancy that I think it says Puratone).

Anyway, I also found on the internet a tin needle box which mentions both Puratone and Fullotone. (I couldn't find the URL link so I just copied the photo below from Google images).

So, it seems that Puratone traded in more than just televisions ? Also, Puratone still had connections with Fullotone ?
Attachments
pura.JPG
pura.JPG (25.71 KiB) Viewed 522 times
sb3.jpg
sb.jpg