FOR SALE: Columbia #9 Soundboxes

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

FOR SALE: Columbia #9 Soundboxes

Post by CharliePhono »

This Columbia #9 soundbox comes with its original box. It has new gaskets, a new diaphragm and rubber isolator and sounds great. The buyer may feel some adjustments are necessary, as the soundbox has been sitting unused for close to two years, but it sounds fine to my ears. SOLD

I have another identical #9 soundbox, but it has its original gaskets, diaphragm, and isolator. It still sounds good (not as good as the rebuilt one) for having its original components. That one can be had for $50. Or, take both for $120. Postage for either item will be $10 for one or $15 for both in the CONUS. Overseas shipping would have to be calculated, depending on the country. Paypal Friends & Family accepted. Non-rebuilt soundbox still available, 09/11.
Attachments
IMG_0232.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0230.JPG

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Re: FOR SALE: Columbia #9 Soundboxes

Post by CharliePhono »

One #9 still available.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Would this fit my 1909 Columbia Regent phono, or desk phonograph? Thanks, Marc.

p.s. The Columbia book by Baumbach says my reproducer is a No. 6.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

marcapra wrote:Would this fit my 1909 Columbia Regent phono, or desk phonograph? Thanks, Marc.

Hi Marc. I really don't know if it would fit the tonearm. I believe these were produced in '28-'29 for the Viva Tonal machines and would perhaps be out of place on your early Columbia. But, others are welcome to chime in. Thanks for your interest!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I know the Viva Tonal reproducer is No. 15 and doesn't look like yours at all, unless yours may be British. But it could be for a Columbia portable phonograph. What is the inside diameter of the hole for the tonearm?

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

It occurred to me after replying to you earlier that I should have measured the opening. It is 1-⅜"/1.5 cm. It is indeed from a UK Columbia Viva Tonal. My Columbia Table Grand, model 117a, is fitted with one, and I do believe it came from the factory that way. As well, the machine is dated 1929, as inscribed on the bottom of the cabinet in chalk. I may be wrong, but I believe the #15 soundbox came along following this one, though why they weren't numbered consecutively is a mystery to me.

marcapra
Victor V

Post by marcapra »

The No. 15 reproducer is I think strictly for the U.S. Viva Tonal market. I think British Columbia used a different reproducer. The outside diameter of the hole on the back of my Columbia reproducer no. 6 is just ⅝".

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

This will not fit the earlier Columbia tone arm. It uses a bayonet fitting . This #9 reproducer will not fit. As stated before, it will look out of place for your Regent. The Grafonola #6 is the correct one depending on if it is a later Regent.
Harvey Kravitz
CharliePhono wrote:
marcapra wrote:Would this fit my 1909 Columbia Regent phono, or desk phonograph? Thanks, Marc.

Hi Marc. I really don't know if it would fit the tonearm. I believe these were produced in '28-'29 for the Viva Tonal machines and would perhaps be out of place on your early Columbia. But, others are welcome to chime in. Thanks for your interest!

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

The #9 soundbox that has not been rebuilt is still available at $50.00 Thanks!