WANTED: Greensleeves (Green 10" paper sleeves)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jwb88
Victor II

WANTED: Greensleeves (Green 10" paper sleeves)

Post by Jwb88 »

Whatever happened to the blue-green 10" paper sleeves? All I see anymore is that bright yellow color. Anyone have (or know of a good source for) new paper sleeves similar to the one pictured? Or maybe tan, even? Anything but bright yellow?

Thanks!

-John
Attachments
IMG_5245 2.JPG
Last edited by Jwb88 on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: WANTED: Greensleeves (Green 10" paper sleeves)

Post by OrthoSean »

Bags Unlimited sells them, but they seem to run out of stock periodically. I'd keep checking with them or even call and ask when they expect to have them back. Last time I checked there, they had run out again, then as luck would have it, I found a case of 500 squirrelled away in my attic. I usually order a couple thousand at a time from them so I have plenty on hand. Silly, I know...

EDIT - I just checked and they seem to have them back in stock, see here:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/ ... er-sleeves

Sean

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:Bags Unlimited sells them, but they seem to run out of stock periodically. I'd keep checking with them or even call and ask when they expect to have them back. Last time I checked there, they had run out again, then as luck would have it, I found a case of 500 squirrelled away in my attic. I usually order a couple thousand at a time from them so I have plenty on hand. Silly, I know...

EDIT - I just checked and they seem to have them back in stock, see here:

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/category/ ... er-sleeves

Sean
I had assumed Bags Unlimited was out of business. Their website has been down for months. After you posted this Sean i tried to access again via VPN, (New York City) and it worked. Turns out their website is just blocked in Europe for some reason.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I also went to Bags Unlimited a while back and they were out. I assumed they were discontinued. Let's hope not--I'm going to try to order some. Thanks a lot guys!

(I'm planning on cutting the corners and making a set to fit in my Edison C-250. Any other suggestions for storing Edison discs in drawers are appreciated, but I think sleeves are my best bet for the money.)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jwb88 wrote:I also went to Bags Unlimited a while back and they were out. I assumed they were discontinued. Let's hope not--I'm going to try to order some. Thanks a lot guys!

(I'm planning on cutting the corners and making a set to fit in my Edison C-250. Any other suggestions for storing Edison discs in drawers are appreciated, but I think sleeves are my best bet for the money.)
That works great. Also I would suggest to get the plastic sleeves to slide over the green jackets. They come in two sizes 10 ⅛ and 10 ¼ I think. The smaller size works best with the green sleeves. If you want to slide a plastic over an original DD jacket, you should get the larger size as the original DD jackets are slightly bigger.

The plastic makes it easier to slide them in and out of the drawer without the labels catching, sticking etcetera. The record storage on this A-250 with the individual wooden slots would be essentially unusable for good records without the plastic, at least for good records.
Attachments
Edison A-250 record storage.jpg

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That looks beautiful! I had thought of getting plastic sleeves for the original paper sleeves and I forgot. I already ordered a ton of the green sleeves and so far so good, no "out of stock" message. I'll check out the plastic sleeves. Both my C-250 and my C-200 have the rough dividers, areas for loose storage of 10 records between each divider. Not as clean as the individual slots, but it gives me more wiggle room, so we'll see.

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Jwb88 wrote:That looks beautiful! I had thought of getting plastic sleeves for the original paper sleeves and I forgot. I already ordered a ton of the green sleeves and so far so good, no "out of stock" message. I'll check out the plastic sleeves. Both my C-250 and my C-200 have the rough dividers, areas for loose storage of 10 records between each divider. Not as clean as the individual slots, but it gives me more wiggle room, so we'll see.

Yea the green sleeves look very "period" in the drawers and blend well with original sleeves. The yellow or white ones look terrible.

Vinrage_mania
Victor II

Post by Vinrage_mania »

Ahhh the oak A250 such a Beautuif machine......just can’t find an Oak one :( I’ve had two mahogany ones ....never one in Oak

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

Vinrage_mania wrote:Ahhh the oak A250 such a Beautuif machine......just can’t find an Oak one :( I’ve had two mahogany ones ....never one in Oak
They do turn up. Keep your eyes open. There was one for sale here not too long ago and I sold this one on the link a couple years back. :monkey:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=15563

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

Yeah, what is this “Kraft Gold” nonsense? I thought “kraft” paper is generally brown or tan. The sleeves I’ve been finding are obnoxiously bright yellow. They’re fine, and I’m using some for run-of-the-mill 78s, but I’m not putting them in the Edison cabinets.

I think A-250s look equally good in oak or mahogany if you’re comparing finishes in equally excellent condition.
I’m probably in an extreme minority, but I think C-250s look far better in mahogany than oak. The oak grain competes with the elegance of the design, in my opinion. But age seems to be much kinder to oak finishes, and oak is more durable, so I can see why it might be preferred. Plus, tiger oak graining adds a lot of flashiness to otherwise plain cabinets. The grass is always greener, too! Lol.