Wanted - Internal horn for table top fumed oak XI

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Zeppy
Victor III

Wanted - Internal horn for table top fumed oak XI

Post by Zeppy »

picked up an empty cabinet for a table top XI, in fumed oak. Looking for the internal horn...or if anyone knows if it used a similar horn as other machines. No big rush. I have two other machines in line before I get around to working on this one....that, and I'm not particularly married to the machines, so once it's put back together (of if I give up hope on it), it will probably find itself on ebay.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Wanted - Internal horn for table top fumed oak XI

Post by OrthoSean »

Can't help you out, but table model XIs are nice machines! I have a nice one in Mahogany. Never seen one in oak, let alone FUMED oak!

Good luck!
Sean

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

OrthoSean wrote:Can't help you out, but table model XIs are nice machines! I have a nice one in Mahogany. Never seen one in oak, let alone FUMED oak!

Good luck!
Sean
Thanks....the only reason I picked it up was because it was in fumed oak (or is it flemmish...can never remember which is which) and cheap (but why wouldn't it be cheap...it was merely the empty cabinet). If figured if I can at least find a cast iron neck that somewhat fits, I can try to have the wooden part fabricated. But, again, not a big rush. I have a VTLA in the final stages (and now that I'm done with school, I'll actually have time), XII, and a Monarch to hunt down parts for...so the XI is fairly low on my list...but if I get the word out early enough, perhaps something will fall my way.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Fumed Oak is a nut-brown with relatively little contrast. Flemish oak is BLACK with little contrast. It is a very rare finish. Most very dark machines that are considered to be Flemish Oak are actually Old English Oak, which is very somewhat lighter than Flemish Oak, with a yellow-brownish cast rather than the slightly blue cast of the "echt" Flemish Oak. A true Flemsh oak finish has few if any highlights, whereas the Old English finish shows of the fleck of the grain.

The tone arm and motor for this machine may be taken from a common Victor VI.

The VV-XII uses a slightly different motor, but the table-model VV-XI uses the ordinary V-VI motor.

The spring motor used in the Auxetophone is also correct in your application, as I recall. ;)

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Uncle Vanya wrote:Fumed Oak is a nut-brown with relatively little contrast. Flemish oak is BLACK with little contrast. It is a very rare finish. Most very dark machines that are considered to be Flemish Oak are actually Old English Oak, which is very somewhat lighter than Flemish Oak, with a yellow-brownish cast rather than the slightly blue cast of the "echt" Flemish Oak. A true Flemsh oak finish has few if any highlights, whereas the Old English finish shows of the fleck of the grain.

The VV-XII uses a slightly different motor, but the table-model VV-XI uses the ordinary V-VI motor.

The spring motor used in the Auxetophone is also correct in your application, as I recall. ;)
Actually, the XI is only a two spring motor, so any of the early XI motors (which are the same as the V-IV motor should work (and as luck would have it, I have an extra lying around....as well as an early tone and back bracket from an L-door XVI, which I believe should work and a spare bullet brake).

BTW, if someone has a picture of the motor board for one of these, I'd appreciate pictures. I'll probably have to have one made for this...oh...and I did recieve an email about a possible horn...so if it fits, this project may finish faster than anticiapted....

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Zeppy wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:Fumed Oak is a nut-brown with relatively little contrast. Flemish oak is BLACK with little contrast. It is a very rare finish. Most very dark machines that are considered to be Flemish Oak are actually Old English Oak, which is very somewhat lighter than Flemish Oak, with a yellow-brownish cast rather than the slightly blue cast of the "echt" Flemish Oak. A true Flemsh oak finish has few if any highlights, whereas the Old English finish shows of the fleck of the grain.

Actually, the XI is only a two spring motor, so any of the early XI motors (which are the same as the V-IV motor should work (and as luck would have it, I have an extra lying around....as well as an early tone and back bracket from an L-door XVI, which I believe should work and a spare bullet brake).

BTW, if someone has a picture of the motor board for one of these, I'd appreciate pictures. I'll probably have to have one made for this...oh...and I did recieve an email about a possible horn...so if it fits, this project may finish faster than anticiapted....
Well, my machine, serial no. 618 was fitted with the three spring motor and the balancing turntable, on the other hand a later table model machine that I scrapped out some years ago (serial number somewhere in the 8-9000 range, as I recall) had a 2 spring motor like the Type B floor model machines. The early XI also used a back bracket more along the lines of that on a VV-VI, with a separate escutcheon ring, along the lines of that used on the raised motorboard VTLA machines, rather than the more conventional bracket adopted a couple of years later.

Until I read your posting, I had entirely forgotten that one machine that I once owned with the 2 spring motor.

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
Zeppy wrote:

Well, my machine, serial no. 618 was fitted with the three spring motor and the balancing turntable, on the other hand a later table model machine that I scrapped out some years ago (serial number somewhere in the 8-9000 range, as I recall) had a 2 spring motor like the Type B floor model machines. The early XI also used a back bracket more along the lines of that on a VV-VI, with a separate escutcheon ring, along the lines of that used on the raised motorboard VTLA machines, rather than the more conventional bracket adopted a couple of years later.

Until I read your posting, I had entirely forgotten that one machine that I once owned with the 2 spring motor.
618? That's fairly impressive. Not sure off the top of my head what serial number my XI has, but it certainly was much later than that. The Victor Data Book doesn't even mention there being a 3 spring XI, although it does make sense (since they were cutting out the XII, which was a 3 spring with gold hardware, and they were now producing the X, as a table top, with nickel hardware, and a double spring motor, it would make perfect sense to have the XI with a triple motor).

Still trying figure out my options on this guy. Far too many projects, not enough time (anyone in the market for an oak XI case ;))