Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
marco
Victor II

Re: WANTED: Nipper Projects

Post by marco »

marco wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:I hadn't thought of that. That's thinking outside the box! Jerry
Hi Jerry!

All kidding aside--if you are really looking for a nipper project I might have one for you.

I was rummaging through some boxes in my basement last night and came across an Original chalk Nipper about 5-6 inches tall. I have had the poor little guy for years thinking I could restore him; but I don't have the talent or desire. The little nipper has part of his nose broken off; but is in otherwise in good condition with a nice patina. If you are interested PM--Believe me--the price is right. I can post a photo on this topic or send you one PM. Best! Mark Roberts

Jerry Got is because he was the first to ask. Sorry--only had one. Mark Roberts
Hi Jerry! Little Chalk Nipper is on it's way to you--FINALLY. Sorry I was a little lazy about sending it out. Sent PM with details. Hope you can do something with it! Best! Mark

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Never shying away from a lost cause, I gave her $200.00 for the glass eyed Nipper. When I bought the pull start Berliner I received some very discouraging personal messages, but very good support publicity. That machine means more to me than any other because it was a labor of love.

I got into this hobby because I love these old machines and the authenticity of the sounds that they produce, but I remained interested all these years becaus I love the hunt and I love seeing something that was close to being in a dumpster become a treasure again, even if it is only a treasure to me.

I will be patient and do my best to get Nipper back into a presentable state. The price may have been too high, but there are no expensive parts to buy and I am confident that with enough time and patience I will have a nice, glass eyed Nipper that will be special to me.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I looked at Etsy yesterday and saw that it sold and wondered who bought the little fellow. If you are inclined a new thread on its restoration would be interesting. Do you have good photos of a similar and complete Nipper? The Rolfs books would be a good start.

Jerry B.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry B. wrote:I looked at Etsy yesterday and saw that it sold and wondered who bought the little fellow. If you are inclined a new thread on its restoration would be interesting. Do you have good photos of a similar and complete Nipper? The Rolfs books would be a good start.

Jerry B.
I do have good photos and the Rolf’s book as well. I learned long ago that with patience you can do nearly anything. I will document the project. I said that I would never try to bring back anything as far gone as the pull-start Berliner again, but I was wrong. I just needed the right muse.

When I did the Berliner I was surprised to receive a pm from a forum member telling me that I had little to no chance of success and another message offering to sell me most of the parts that I needed, then reneg after I agreed to his asking price. But others offered encouragement and Zwebie even provided parts. Another member sold me the rare sound box that I needed. Both the encouragement and discouragement helped. It is always nice to find that you can do what another says you cannot.

Anyway, I look forward to this diversion. The tougher the challenge, the greater the reward. From the looks of this one, the reward will be great.