SOLD: NOS Everplay Needle $75

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Re: FOR SALE: NOS Everplay Needle $75

Post by marcapra »

I have heard from many sources that permanent needles are very bad for records.

Mlund2020
Victor II

Re: FOR SALE: NOS Everplay Needle $75

Post by Mlund2020 »

I agree that they should stay together as a set. PM sent.

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: SOLD: NOS Everplay Needle $75

Post by Skihawx »

I suppose I will keep the box with the ones I still have. I had considered keeping them all together. But I want to use one or at least try it out. If it was a Victor Talking Machine item I would have probably kept them intact. I have had a box of RCA Victor needles I've owned for over 15 years, but it still has the seal intact. I guess I consider needles a consumable item.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"I guess I consider needles a consumable item."

Just my opinion as a needle tin collector - new, steel needles are made to use for playing records and are readily available. They are currently made and available in basically unlimited quantities, so they can be considered to be a consumable item.

However, EverPlay needles are in a collectible category and not generally used for play by most collectors... Yes, you can use them but when they are gone, they are gone. They were made roughly 100 years ago and will never be manufactured again. So, they are not considered to be consumable, because you can't buy more of them. As a needle tin collector, I sometimes run across unusual needles that have the manufacturer's name stamped on them, spear shaped needles, needles with small hoods attached, etc. - I would never use those needles for record play, as they cannot be replaced. If you want to play a record, use modern steel needles...

"If it was a Victor Talking Machine item I would have probably kept them intact."

You have obviously not been collecting very long... You have totally missed the point of collectible value, which is supply and demand. If you had a sealed tin of Victor needles, it would have only a slightly higher value than an empty one - and most Victor tins don't have significant value. The reason is that Victor and other big name manufacturers dominated the market and produced literally millions of those during the phonograph period and are now quite common. There are only a few Victor tins that would bring $75 or more because of this... and they are hard to find.

On the other hand, the reason you can charge $75-100 for a single EverPlay needle is that it is a scarce and unusual item, the likes of which will never be made again. So, once again, the value increases if you have an original package of six in their original envelopes and in their original box... Now that you have split them up, they will never have that same value again - mainly, only as single original packs. The highest value is in a complete box of them, which it will never be again...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Maybe I have been collecting too long. I know I have considered myself a "collector" since I was about 15 and had a bedroom full of radios and phonographs. That was 42 years ago. There are way too many interesting machines out there for me to get excited when I see a Victor VV-XI repurposed as a wine cabinet. I have way too much stuff to want an off brand upright, or horn machine for that matter and like to use my automatic Victor's with Tungs-tone needles playing Victor Orthophonics. Both are a consumable and unfortunately they are not made anymore. I like to enjoy and use my collection. I go out of my way to preserve items but not at the expense of enjoying them. Records technically may have only so many plays. But hearing an already worn Berliner or Zonophone disc once and a while as it was meant to be heard it not going to make that much difference. Do we really believe there is going to be that many collectors in the future that we need to preserve every last item? This box wasn't sealed and I wasn't concerned with the value of keeping the box of these Everplay needles together. This way 3 more people will enjoy and use them. I wanted to use one or two and didn't think I needed all six. On the other hand the sealed box of RCA Victor needles wasn't a tin, it is a dealer box of 400 Tungs-tone needles. This one I haven't even come close to opening. Maybe when there are not more out there I will have to. Maybe sacrificing the everplays will prevent this. Just like a car or phonograph, many times the sum of the parts is worth more than the entire unit. I think it is sad to see nice machine sold for parts. But sometimes I am also looking for original parts.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

It's your stuff... you can do what you want with it. Apparently, you are not getting my point, but in actuality I really don't care... It's just that your logic doesn't make sense.

A 400 box of TungsTone needles is a good thing to keep together, but there are a lot of TungsTone needle tins out there and they aren't worth what one EverPlay needle is worth, even though it is basically the same thing. There are other EverPlay needles out there too, but not in the original box with the six original envelopes and needles. Why do you want to play one...? They sound similar to the TungsTone needles, since they are made of tungsten. If you really want one to play, sell the box of six to someone who cares about it and buy a single EverPlay on eBay to use...

If you broke up the 400 box of TungsTone tins, one of them is not worth as much as one EverPlay, so why don't you break them up and sell them individually? You are apparently convinced that the 400 box is worth more together than parted out, and that is my point with the EverPlay needles... :roll:

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

It is not about the value. It is what I find interesting to collect.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Skihawx wrote:It is not about the value. It is what I find interesting to collect.
Like I said, you obviously missed my point... and you are the one who said if it was something Victor you would have saved them... :?

Actually, I am not talking about the value either. It's just a comparison between Victor needles and EverPlay needles, based on price, which seems to be the easiest comparison. The reason for price discrepancies is based on perceived and actual rarity (Victor=common, EverPlay=scarce). You don't find a complete box of EverPlay needles everyday, in fact I doubt that you will ever see one again, but you can find dealer boxes of Victor needles...

If you don't find these interesting to collect, pass them on to another collector who will preserve them and appreciate them (Oh, I forgot, that isn't possible anymore, since you decided to split them up)... Then, take the money and buy whatever it is that you find interesting to collect... :roll:

I hope you aren't into phonograph/bar conversions...

My Wife