You can give your price
Attachments
columbia nieuwe foto.jpg

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: FOR SALE columbia GRAFONOLA viva tonal

Post by brianu »

you might want to mention where it's located, whether it's working or needs any sort of repair, and give some idea as to price.

wheelgun357
Victor O

Post by wheelgun357 »

maybe its just me but, don't the viva-tonals have a s-shaped arm like the victor ortho's and not the straight arm like is on this, also if i remember correctly the viva-tonal's have doors over the horn not the 4-section louvers..... just sayin, i dont know I could be wrong...

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I think this is one of the British viva-tonal machines, they differed in details from the US ones.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

either way, it doesn't seem like the most effective way to sell something, by simply posting a photo and providing no more information than the fact that it's for sale (no specifics, no price, no location, no contact information).

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I saw one of these on craigslist this morning for $150. Can't remember what city it was in -- I think I was looking around northern Ohio/southern Michigan.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

wheelgun357 wrote:maybe its just me but, don't the viva-tonals have a s-shaped arm like the victor ortho's and not the straight arm like is on this, also if i remember correctly the viva-tonal's have doors over the horn not the 4-section louvers..... just sayin, i dont know I could be wrong...
As noted, that's one of the UK Columbia models, which differed considerably from those made in the US.

From what I can tell, it all looks correct. The straight, exponential tonearm was used on both the cabinet and portable models--for instance:

For me, the most interesting feature of the UK Viva Tonal cabinet and table top gramophones is the horn, which was made out of metal and was divided into two sections, basically like two horns joined together:
Viva-Tonal Horn.JPG
Horn from a Columbia 117 Table Grand -- See: Click Here

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'm pretty certain that horn reflects that UK Columbia was part of HMV- that horn is exactly like the one in my HMV 109, but doubled.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

estott wrote:I'm pretty certain that horn reflects that UK Columbia was part of HMV- that horn is exactly like the one in my HMV 109, but doubled.
From what I've been told/read, this type of horn was used, starting in about 1926--or prior to the (1931) merger between Columbia and the Gramophone Co., which formed EMI. Steve or Shane probably could provide more details. I agree, it's very much like a double version of the horns that the Gramophone Co. installed in some their models. It's also very close to the type of horn that was used for an off-brand gramophone I used to own. (Perhaps these horns were off the shelf components supplied by outside vendors?)

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

I'm kind of surprised (well, perhaps not) that the original poster hasn't chimed in after more than 2 days with more info, if he really wants to sell this...

But at least it has turned into an interesting discussion!
Adam