FOR SALE: Mahogany VE 10-50 $1750 and Walnut VE 10-50 $1250

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

FOR SALE: Mahogany VE 10-50 $1750 and Walnut VE 10-50 $1250

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Inquire about delivery en route to or at a future phono show/auction, or freight shipping for either of these two previously posted machines:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=37563

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=37396

Note:

New aluminum pot-metal replacement parts with brass gears.

Changer works nicely for 10” or 12” records.
Last edited by Victrola-Monkey on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marco
Victor II

Re: FOR SALE: Mahogany VE 10-50 $1950 and Walnut VE 10-50 $1

Post by marco »

Victrola-Monkey wrote:Inquire about delivery en route to or at a future phono show/auction, or freight shipping for either of these two previously posted machines:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=37563

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=37396

Note:

New aluminum pot-metal replacement parts with brass gears.

Changer works nicely for 10” or 12” records.
Hi Wayne--this looks like a good post to tack what I needed to contact you with what I need.

I would have loved to have purchased your lesser 10-50; but purchased my walnut one over 30 years ago for $1,400.00; and, as you are aware--had my own challenges in trying to get the pot metal parts recast in aluminum.

It has been over 25 years since I had my castings made; and that company is long out of business and was not able to do any machining for me. At the same time a local gear shop would not make my gears or produce one copy of mine for me.

I have dealt with three (3) different people over the years. Originally got a couple sets of what Charlie Weatherby had available in aluminum. Then dealt with another person in New York who was producing the parts that Charlie was not. Then, as a last resort--found one last guy who was producing a couple early 10-50 parts in plastic--long before 3D printing was even a technology.

I promised you that I would contact you once I found most of the original parts that I had to see if you would be able to fit them to my machine and get it going just as you did experimenting with your own cast aluminum parts.

I am attaching photos. First of the part that goes on the neck of the tonearm. My original pot metal part was in such good shape that they were able to make an exact casting; but I could never find anyone to machine the casting. Have a second one that possibly came from Charlie--then my third original one that has no intergrannular corrosion that would probably still work on my machine.

Next is the part that the size selector rods go through. Again, my original pot metal part was in perfect condition; but I had one cast in aluminum anyway. Of course--all of the cast parts would need machined; as they plugged up the holes with beeswax in order to make the sand castings.

I have my original record slide piece that had deteriorated; so I purchased one in plastic and then had it moulded into aluminum. My original piece was too far gone to reproduce and did not have the steel "pin" that was needed. That pin did come in my plastic part.

Then there is the record support. Again, mine had detiorated; but was good enough to make a casting in aluminum. I also got another aluminum casting possibly from Charlie and then another one in Plastic from the guy I could not remember.

We then come down to the record selector knob. mine was good but broke in half when I took it off my machine. I glued it together and had one cast in aluminum for me and three others in brass just in case that was a better material. Still have two of the brass ones along with the aluminum for me that have never been machined.

Lastly is the gear set. I am still looking; but am sure that I got a full set of repro Weatherby originals; because, as I said--even though my pot metal ones were viable to machine new ones--the only machine shop locally would not take on such a small job. I am sure that I have two (2) sets of the Weatherby gears and am close to finding them also; but was worried about what you said about them not being the right dimensions for the record selector and holder to play 12 inch 78's. Since my 12 inch collection is tiny; that probably is not a problem; but I wanted to make sure that your brass Boston gears would possibly be a better option for me. At the time I was doing all of this--Boston gears did not have anything close to what you got in their catalog.

So--in summation. My question is--if I sent you everything I have along with the original motor and frame--would you be able to have everything machined that needed to fit and to fit brass gears onto my chassis? If you were able to do that--would you want the remaining parts that I invested a lot of money into in full or partial exchange for doing the work needed on my chassis and possibly be able to get another one of your 10-50's up and running.

Again--I stress that my machine is an Early Production 10-50 and I am sure that all parts--once machine would work in harmony. Photos Following. You can respond on the Forum, PM me or e-mail me at: ernestglen@outlook.com
Attachments
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces 010.jpg
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces 007.jpg
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces 009.jpg
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces.jpg
vicytor dog and 1050 pieces 006.jpg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: Mahogany VE 10-50 $1750 and Walnut VE 10-50 $1

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Still available, new replacement parts, possibly free deliver, and now Black Friday Pricing.