WANTED (UK) - Edison Diamond disc machine

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: WANTED (UK) - Edison Diamond disc machine

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

Have you had any success finding an Edison Diamond Disc machine?

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

EdiBrunsVic wrote:Have you had any success finding an Edison Diamond Disc machine?
Alas not yet, something will turn up with time, I'm considering finding one of those Diamond Disc vicsonia attachments

cweastlick
Victor II

Post by cweastlick »

kirtley2012 wrote:Still searching, one of the table top B19s would be great, the tall floor standing models would be good if I could figure out a way to get it to me
Too bad you're across the pond. I have three B19s for sale. Keep hunting, that's half the fun!!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I have a ton of Edison DD machines is great shape. It's truly odd to hear that someone is having trouble finding one for sale. Here in California, I can't give 'em away.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Edison DD machines never sold well in the UK, hence the difficulty in finding them today. Even now they are not highly valued, because good discs are also hard to find over here.

Although they were demonstrated privately to phonograph societies here before 1914, import restrictions during and after WW1 delayed their availability for sale until 1921, by which time the lateral cut "78" already dominated the British market.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I would hesitate to recommend this as a purchase, as it has problems and is a long way from you, but it is the first to appear on UK eBay for some time :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Edis ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
DD.jpg

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

The seller chose a strange sales tactic, they unlisted it then re-lised it at a price than I think is more than it's worth, I tried advising but ah well, the search continues

A Ford 1
Victor II

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi, The Vicsonia would not sound as nice as an Edison reproducer in good working order in my opinion. I do have two Vicsonia reproducers one satin gold the other shiny white plated metal. You of course need a Victola to use the Vicsonia. If you think you want one, I will look to find out what I have paid for them in the past. I got them to see how they would sound on my Borgia II Orthophonic. The Orthophonic horn helps make them sound best.
Happy hunting for your Edison and go for a C-19.
Sincerely,
Allen

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

A Ford 1 wrote:Hi, The Vicsonia would not sound as nice as an Edison reproducer in good working order in my opinion. I do have two Vicsonia reproducers one satin gold the other shiny white plated metal. You of course need a Victola to use the Vicsonia. If you think you want one, I will look to find out what I have paid for them in the past. I got them to see how they would sound on my Borgia II Orthophonic. The Orthophonic horn helps make them sound best.
Happy hunting for your Edison and go for a C-19.
Sincerely,
Allen
I agree. I've got a Visconia and a Claarvox that I play on my Vic V very infrequently. Any of the three Diamond Disc machines I have here, the A-150, A-250 or C-19 outperformed them by far.