WANTED (UK) - Edison Diamond disc machine

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

WANTED (UK) - Edison Diamond disc machine

Post by kirtley2012 »

I seem to be finally selling a guitar I've been trying to move on, so this means I can afford to 1. Learn to drive (again) and 2. buy a couple machines and records to annoy the neighbors and my girlfriend with, win win!

Anyhow, is there anyone in the UK with an Edison diamond disc machine for sale?, not fussed on model, don't really know much about the differences in them, floor standing would be nice however, just not one of those wide, low ones, as long as it works, thats champion.

Getting it to me could be an issue, my girlfriend drives so could drive some distance though not huge distances, she's a nervous driver sometimes, but it's a pretty small car, could fit one of the table top ones in maybe, or maybe a large one, don't know how tall they are, might fit

hopefully this guitar should be going soon, someones said they're buying it, so may aswell see if anythings around

I'm in Alston, Cumbria so ideally nearish there or with the ability to be brought nearish

Cheers

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Re: WANTED (UK) - Edison Diamond disc machine

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

I hope you find a good Edison Diamond Disc phonograph. Somewhere there is a nice one for you.
Don

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Or does anyone know anyone who might have one for sale?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

It might be worth your while acquiring a copy of the definitive book on these machines before making a choice. Some floor models stand over 50 inches tall.

One such machine was purchased at the CLPGS Malvern auction a few years ago, but would not fit into the member's car. It spent a few days in the hotel broom cupboard until suitable transport could be organised to get it home.

When you have passed your driving test, make sure that your first car is gramophone friendly ;).
Attachments
DD.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The one on the cover of the book that Roger posted is not large, and soundwise is ok. It's the smallest diamond disc machine made by Edison. That model, if I am not mistaken, was made for the English market and it's called a London model. I have one of similar size, the B80, which is the only with a belt-driven motor. The motor is tricky, but it sounds good.

If you want just to play the Edison discs, a Brunswick with the Ultona head is quite handy, as it plays lateral, vertical and diamond discs. It is not frequently found in Europe, but every once in a while one shows up for sale (for some reason these machines tend to appear on German ebay). I have a table top that is not large, with a nice spruce internal horn and, with the Ultona properly fitted with good gaskets, it reproduces diamond discs with comparable quality to the smaller Edison machines.

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

CarlosV wrote:The one on the cover of the book that Roger posted is not large, and soundwise is ok. It's the smallest diamond disc machine made by Edison. That model, if I am not mistaken, was made for the English market and it's called a London model. I have one of similar size, the B80, which is the only with a belt-driven motor. The motor is tricky, but it sounds good.

If you want just to play the Edison discs, a Brunswick with the Ultona head is quite handy, as it plays lateral, vertical and diamond discs. It is not frequently found in Europe, but every once in a while one shows up for sale (for some reason these machines tend to appear on German ebay). I have a table top that is not large, with a nice spruce internal horn and, with the Ultona properly fitted with good gaskets, it reproduces diamond discs with comparable quality to the smaller Edison machines.
The machine on the cover is a B-19, a.k.a. the "Chalet" or "Bungalow" model. Cheaply made, and with the small 100 horn, it's a fine "second" machine but was never intended to compete with the uprights. Because it still has the standard, full size DD mechanism, it's quite heavy and a tad bulky.

Both the B-80 and its "little brother" the B-60 are belt driven.

The 4 London models were named that for marketing purposes, not for export per se. They took their name from the location of the cabinet maker in New London, Wisconsin. The L-35 table top is seldom seen. The L-36 was a spindle leg upright that is essentially non-existant. The LU-37 upright and the LC-38 console are pretty common (in the USA).

I agree that the Ultona is a fine second choice for playing Diamond Discs, but only the double sided Ultona that has a head similar in design the the Diamond Disc reproducer, as this had a well-designed stylus. The single sided Ultona head uses a removable diamond stylus that is virtually guaranteed to mark records.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

52089 wrote: I agree that the Ultona is a fine second choice for playing Diamond Discs, but only the double sided Ultona that has a head similar in design the the Diamond Disc reproducer, as this had a well-designed stylus. The single sided Ultona head uses a removable diamond stylus that is virtually guaranteed to mark records.
Thanks for the clarification on the name of the machine. Curiously, the London model, which looks quite similar to the one pictured, is relatively common in England, which led me infer that it was made for that market. The Ultona I have is the double-sided, as you mentioned its diamond disc side is almost identical to the Edison design, but linked to a mica diaphragm. Mine has a good stylus and does not cause wear to the records.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

CarlosV wrote: Thanks for the clarification on the name of the machine. Curiously, the London model, which looks quite similar to the one pictured, is relatively common in England, which led me infer that it was made for that market. The Ultona I have is the double-sided, as you mentioned its diamond disc side is almost identical to the Edison design, but linked to a mica diaphragm. Mine has a good stylus and does not cause wear to the records.
According to Frow, the 'London' tabletop was made primarily for the export market: hence its frequent presence in the UK.

Bill

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Still searching, one of the table top B19s would be great, the tall floor standing models would be good if I could figure out a way to get it to me

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

kirtley2012 wrote:Still searching, one of the table top B19s would be great, the tall floor standing models would be good if I could figure out a way to get it to me
Keep looking Alex. Something will turn up. Might someone in CLPGS be able to help. Obviously best would be to find something locally or at least in the UK, possibly France.