WANTED: Origional listening tubes

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

WANTED: Origional listening tubes

Post by Mormon S »

I'm looking for origional listening tubes (for ics machine) in good condition.

Mormon S
Victor III

Re: WANTED: Origional listening tubes

Post by Mormon S »

Still looking/bump

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Still looking

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It's going to be very hard to get a decent set of tubes if they have to be original Edison stock. Case in point: I collect antique fountain pens and the old lever- and button-fill models use a rubber bladder called the sac to hold the ink. The sac is either decaying into a gummy mess, or it's hardened into a glasslike brittle substance that shatters when the lever is pulled (if it doesn't break the lever!)

A set of listening tube hardware? Now that might be good. Get the vintage hardware such as the connector, the Y, and the earbuds and then get some latex tubing and build a set with some dimensions. Certainly someone on here might help you out with how long the hose needs to be.

Good luck!

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I can supply a complete set of exact reproduction listening tubes (with rubber tubing) for $40 + shipping. PM me for details. (Click image twice to enlarge.)

George P.
Ear tube B.JPG

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I have one set of original listening tubes that I bought over 20 years ago. The rubber, as VanEpsFan points out, was so brittle it crumbled into tiny pieces when I picked it up. Obviously I kept the ear pieces and Y tube, and I use them today with new rubber. That said, it is literally impossible for me to tell those apart from the replicas now offered by George Paul. I only know which is which because I used different tubing, but the actual hardware looks 100% identical. If my heirs end up selling that machine, with eartubes, the next owner won't even know they're original.

I used to have two other original sets which were part of a complete US Talking Machine Co. disc phonograph. They had spent 100 years coiled under the turntable. There was just barely enough flexibility to be able to take them out for a photograph but I wouldn't dream of trying to actually use them. Once again, the earpieces and Y tube were absolutely identical to the replicas.
Attachments
ustalking.JPG

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:It's going to be very hard to get a decent set of tubes if they have to be original Edison stock.
This is what I feared, but I thought I would give it a try. Someone did offer me an original Columbia listening tube, but it wasn't in my best interest. I might get a pair from George, thanks to all for the replies.

Martin