For Sale: New gramophone fibre needles - Various

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: For Sale: New gramophone fibre needles - Various

Post by estott »

I agree to all of the above- dry bamboo needles kept with silica gel, a free moving tone arm (I disengage the automatic brake to remove the drag) and clean records with minimal wear will prolong your needle life. Even with the best of conditions some records with loud or intense passages can take the tip off a needle mid play.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

"Wax can sometimes help a record that is worn, a friend uses non-silicone based beeswax furniture polish on some records,"

I know to some [from having read many posts here] - this is heresy - I would not be one of those.

On a record in really rough shape and little to zero value, why not?

But I scoured the internet for a non-silicone based beeswax furniture polish available here in Canada and came up with nothing 'exactly' like that - can you share a brand name please. Perhaps its a UK thing and if so I might be able to get it with a brand name search.

PS - the closest I found was Howards feed and wax - which I have ... I tried it on really piss poor record and used a steel needle ... I think it helped!

PPS - you are a luthier - very cool. I am a musician and have dabbled in an amateur way. Mainly I'm a percussionist and have made a few Cuban cajons, but I also play uke and have made some very sad cookie tin ukes and one 'salad bowl' banjo for my wife ... but I digress :oops:

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Yes this was on quite rough records, but here's a link to what he used, it worked surprisingly well, though it would probably be advised to wipe records down after

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Wood-S ... B006O9UFFQ

Yeah I am, largely repairs, but I've got a build project underway, a Stella type 12 string like the early blues guys used, blind Willie mctell, leadbelly, barbecue bob etc, I'll post about it in the parlor when it's done

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

They really do not want to sell that in NA :) ... amazon, ebay other sites ... no way, no how :)

Found this though ... worth a try

https://www.amazon.ca/Goddards-Cabinet- ... 5333&psc=1