FOUND: AMBEROLA V (1st version)

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

FOUND: AMBEROLA V (1st version)

Post by fran604g »

Hiya folks,

Now that the Holidays are all but finished, I'm placing my sights in 2019 on (hopefully) acquiring a nice 1st version Amberola V.

It should be in very good to excellent unrestored condition, completely intact and fully functional, I DO NOT want a completely refinished cabinet, bedplate, etc., but some well-done and appropriate quality replacement parts are acceptable. You know, like a mainspring, governor springs and/or weights, reproducer, crank..."small stuff". Some minor loss of finish on the top works and horn is acceptable, but 90% or better intact is greatly preferred. (See photos below for an indication of the condition I prefer most*)

What this means is I'm not interested in some super-shiny brand-new looking, obviously overdone example of a machine that's been assembled from a collection of parts pulled from several different decrepit units. Price should be commensurate for condition (obviously). I'm not in a big hurry, and I can wait if there's a really nice example at an attractive price that might not be available for a few months.

Please PM me with any offers, and we can go from there. I would like to avoid shipping, with pony express delivery to Wayne or Union a possibility (with a little help from my friends). :)

Thank you all very kindly, and Happy New Year my friends!

-Fran Pratt

(*Photos pirated off eBAY)
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Last edited by fran604g on Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: WANTED FOR 2019: AMBEROLA V (1st version)

Post by phonogfp »

I'll be happy to pick up the machine at Wayne or Union for transport back to Fran!

Now Fran, are either mahogany or oak acceptable?

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:I'll be happy to pick up the machine at Wayne or Union for transport back to Fran!

Now Fran, are either mahogany or oak acceptable?

George P.
Hiya George, thank you!

I'd prefer oak, but I would not turn down mahogany...so I guess either is fine. 8-)

I remember Brandon's mahogany beauty a couple of years ago - very nice!

Best,
Fran
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Please define “1st version” for us, and provide serial number ranges if known. A while ago I tried to get a registry going for the V, but not much data accumulated.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

PeterF wrote:Please define “1st version” for us, and provide serial number ranges if known. A while ago I tried to get a registry going for the V, but not much data accumulated.
Hiya Peter,

There were 2 versions, the 2nd being the "B-V". As reported by Frow, these were post-fire products fitted with "The cheaper Amberola 75 mechanism..." and "...shipped out starting in May 1915..."

I'm NOT interested in an Amberola B-V nor one stamped on the dataplate as a "V" and fitted with a 75 mechanism (If my memory serves, I've actually seen of one of these in person in our mutual friend Tim's collection). The version I'm looking for should be the 1st version with the appropriate V mechanism - just to be clear.

As for a serial number range, I really have no substantive knowledge of how many were produced, therefore I cannot make any assumptions. Do you have an idea of total pre-fire production? For my part, the lower the serial number - well, the better. It seems likely that there should more 1st versions extant than the 2nd version (B-V), because Frow's reported production numbers indicate more were produced prior to the fire, as opposed to after.

Cheers,
Fran

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

As I recall, Jerry B posted photos of a B-V a few years ago. I cannot persuade the search function respond to this.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

phonogfp wrote:As I recall, Jerry B posted photos of a B-V a few years ago. I cannot persuade the search function respond to this.

George P.
Thanks George, however, I don't want to muddy the waters too much by adding photos of that which I don't want.

Happy New Year my friend!

Cheers,
Fran

EDIT:

That being said (by me in haste), if anyone is interested in what a B-V actually looks like, here's a link to Jerry B's post that George referred: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 95#p112795

Thanks George, for compelling me to look.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Oh, that thing! Golly, in my mind they don't really even count as Amberola Vs, which is why I was scratching my head. Do not get me wrong, they are certainly interesting anomalies (albeit born out of desperation after the fire), but like you I just don't have much interest in them. The elegant V mechanism is the main attraction for me.

Every phono collector, unless super specialized and/or extremely space-limited, owes it to her/himself to have a V at some point. They are just super.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Bumperoo..."bump to the top" - in message board lingo. :)

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Hi Fran:

The Amberola V are very nice. I have always wanted one as well. I actually bought one on eBay back 2017 it was my Christmas to me present. I was so excited, weeks went by and after a few weeks the seller told me ugh oh I think the cabinet has a little crack. So thinking I don’t care I can repair it, I received the entire machine in three boxes. The cabinet completely broken down and in very rough shape.

The motor and reproducer was great. So I called a parts dealer and he made me a deal on a cabinet and sent me a Amberola 50 cabinet in very nice condition . Thanks to the great members here on the forum I was able to swap out the parts for Amberola 50 parts. Now I have a nice Amberola 50 in Mahogany. What I like about the Amberola V is the flywheel and auto stop.

Good Luck on the Amberola V and let us know when you get it and post some pics. Those make me drool.

Last bumped by fran604g on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 am.