Wanted: VV XVI Motor and Board with Gold Trim/Starr Parts

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Wanted: VV XVI Motor and Board with Gold Trim/Starr Parts

Post by antique1973 »

PLEASE DISREGARD. I GOT THE PARTS NOW. THANKS!

Complete VV XVI Motor and Board with Gold Trim Wanted.
Also looking for Starr (upright model) tone arm, reproducer, and crank.

Thanks!
Last edited by antique1973 on Wed May 19, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Wanted: VV XVI Motor and Board with Gold Trim/Starr Parts

Post by JohnM »

All XVI's have gold-plated hardware. Which motor you need is a bit more complicated as it depends on which iteration of a XVI you have. Please refer to this page from Paul Edie's excellent Victor/Victrola website to learn the various iterations' differences in brakes, speed controls, motors (as well as taper arms, etc.):

http://www.victor-victrola.com/XVI.htm

I've been making slow progress on the Victor Motor Guide I spoke of in a previous thread (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3796) -- mostly waiting for phone calls to be returned. Now that my busy weekend is over, I'll have a chance to attend to it again today. This guide is very helpful in determining the specific motor configuration one needs.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

John, thanks for the info. I am not quite sure which model mine is since the webpage referred to
letter prefixes and my serial number does not seem to have any. I attached some pics, it appears
to be mahogany but as you can see the outside finish is shot. Also, it was converted to
electric back in the 1930s with a "Flyer" phonograph motor. I hooked up a modern UL listed
power cord with a line switch for the time being. If I can get the proper motor, board, and a crank
handle I am good to go. Of course the cabinet will need work too. Fortunately I got the machine for practically
free due to the generosity of others and their desire to rid it from their garage.
Attachments
P4050005.JPG
P4060013.JPG
P4060008.JPG
P4060006.JPG

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Here's what the http://www.victor-victrola.com page about the VV-XVI says about your model:

In early 1915, the "H" suffix was adopted (right), which moved the crank position further back, and the cabinet design was again slightly changed.

The "H" suffix remained until early 1917. At that time, the suffices were dropped from the serial number. At the same time, the XVI adopted the "fat" tone arm, which was a forbearer of the soon-to-be-introduced No. 2 Soundbox.

No further design modifications were made to the XVI until it was discontinued in 1921. The last recorded serial number (from factory records) for the XVI was 197227.

Several factors here are important and relate to your machine. After the last iteration suffix 'H' was dropped (like on yours) the crank position was moved further back. The webpage also shows other changes that were made prior to the 'H' iteration that carried through to your un-lettered final iteration, primarily addressing which speed control your machine should have. Note that the crank also changes for the run that includes your model:

An "F" suffix was briefly used in 1913, which replaced the round speed control with the short-lived "Exposed Speed Indicator", which consisted of an unprotected indicator needle sticking out from under the turntable. This design was highly vulnerable to being damaged, and many existing "F" suffix machines have surfaced with retrofitted speed indictors. The "F" also used a different style winding key (crank). Before the end of the year, the "F" was replaced with a "G" suffix, that included some additional minor mechanical changes, along with an upgrade to the large glass speed indicator.

This is all very important in which motor and board you find.

Also, please note that the latest serial number recorded in a VV-XVI is 197227. The serial number on your machine will give you a relative relationship position in the production run. Note also that your XVI has the fat taper-tube and No. 2 soundbox mentioned in the article as appearing at the same time the 'H' designation was dropped.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Very helpful information, thanks! I guess I should have read more closely
then I might have figured that out. hehe.

Ampico66
Victor I

Post by Ampico66 »

What size is the motor board you need?

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

I will have to measure the dimensions and get back with you. I know its for the
4 spring motor for the late model VV XVI. Should be red mahogany with the speed
indicator window.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I finally spoke with the gentleman who compiled the Victor Motor Identification Guide and he has kindly agreed to allow it to be posted to the internet. I have been in communication with Paul Edie regarding posting it to the victor-victrola.com website; and I have written Neo and Mordeth regarding posting it on this board as well but haven't heard back from them yet. At any rate, Harold Braker's excellent VMIG will be available -- ostensibly as a PDF download -- about May 1, 2010.

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

That's great news John. Thanks for all your efforts!

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Ampico66, it looks like 12.5 x 14 inches for the motor board mount.