WANTED: Mello-Phonic tone arm

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
apruizii
Victor II

WANTED: Mello-Phonic tone arm

Post by apruizii »

Even though the Mello-Phonic phonographs are considered "off brands", I find the console cabinet to be very nice looking with inlay veneer/wood. I'm considering picking one up to bring it back to life but it has a broken tone arm.

Does anyone have a Mello-Phonic tone arm or another one that would fit?

Thanks!

AR

cjstoessner
Victor O
Personal Text: James-Gail Co.

Re: WANTED: Mello-Phonic tone arm

Post by cjstoessner »

I am glad there is somebody else with an appreciation for the good ole Mello-Phonic off brand. I am actually putting the finishing touches on a console restoration and it has turned out pretty darn good. When I acquired it a year ago, some would have thrown it in a dumpster, it was literally that bad.

As for the tone-arm, somebody had replaced my machine's original arm with a later portable tone arm at some point in its history. I don't think there is a specific "Mello-Phonic" brand tone arm, so I may settle for a period appropriate off brand tone arm, anything from one of the parts suppliers of the late teens through the twenties (see ads in Talking Machine World) will be alright.

I know the off brand phonographs don't command the high value, but I think they're kind of fun... Good luck with the hunt for a period appropriate tone arm, I will keep my eyes open.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Thanks for the reply. It's great to hear that you truly rescued the phonograph and restored it to a nice condition. The one I'm considering is in pretty good shape and hopefully a replacement tone arm will pop up soon.

AR

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Posting a picture of the broken arm on your machine would be of help

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Here's a photo of the broken tone arm for reference...

AR
Attachments
mello_phonic tonearm.jpg

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Since the pieces are all there, you could likely at least make it functional with some JB Weld and a bit of patience until you're able to find a replacement. I've certainly seen much worse.

Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I would bet that was made by Jewel Phono Parts.

It might be possible to fit another popular brand of arm like a Heineman, providing the length is the same. Judging by pictures online they weren't consistent in the style of arm used.

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Here's another picture of a tone arm on a Mello-Phonic phonograph for reference. Does this one also look like one made by Jewel Phono Parts?

Thanks,

AR
Attachments
mello- phonic tonearm 2.jpg

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

apruizii wrote:Here's another picture of a tone arm on a Mello-Phonic phonograph for reference. Does this one also look like one made by Jewel Phono Parts?

Thanks,

AR
Well, it's not a Jewel Phono Parts product, but I have that exact tonearm in a box somewhere in my house. If you're interested, I can send some photos.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Roland,

Yes, please send me a PM with the photos.

Thanks,

AR