Wanted: Fern-O-Grand guts.....?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Wanted: Fern-O-Grand guts.....?

Post by PeteLeoni »

...I have acquired a "gutless" Fern-O-Grand....Help! Should I adapt something to it? Does anyone know what mechanism actually went there? Can I find something? Will someone sell me a working table and arm? All is there but mechanism. The plate is still there with holes for the arm and turntable. Someone very early on added an old radio to it in front but I will remove that and add or create the horn. Horns are my thing so that won't be an issue either way but I know not where to find a "movement" including arm. Willing to do some adaptation but would like to keep the crank location. Much thanks in advance for advice. !!!!!
Attachments
1547517798570991370690.jpg

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Wanted complete phonograph mechanism w / arm

Post by PeteLeoni »

OK we will try it this way and I will sift through what is offered, as very few know what a Fern-o-grand is. I want something I can adapt. Thanks.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Wanted complete phonograph mechanism w / arm

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hi Pete,

Hold out longer for the correct parts. Fern-O-Grands are incredible rare machines and worth more when built correctly.

Unlike the latest unfortunate trends in the vintage car hobby, phonographs are worth big money only when they have correct motors and parts in them!

What we probably need is a discussion on the main page of just what exactly you have, and I'm sure we'd all love to know how you found it, and maybe some of our resident Fern-O-Grand owners can chime in and get you situated.
The reason I mention this is, a lot of smaller phonograph companies bought generic parts from supply houses like Meisselbach or Otto K. Heinemann. We need some pictures from their collections to see what the old machines were originally equipped with.

And also, as no one has said it yet, welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll enjoy your machine when it's finished. Some of us are repairmen, others restorers, and some like me can restore them but would rather sit down in the evening and crank up the Victrola to listen to some great tunes.

We'll be there!

Charles F., on behalf of the Talking Machine Forum

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Wanted complete phonograph mechanism w / arm

Post by estott »

Googling for Fern O Grand images indicates that at least some were equipped with Meisselbach arms, so it is very probable they were equipped with Meisselbach motors (or Heinemann - the firms were connected). There were several sizes and configurations of these so it will take some measuring to find one which will work with your crank location

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Wanted: Fern-O-Grand guts.....?

Post by JohnM »

Essentially, a Fern-O-Grand is an off-brand in a novelty cabinet, so likely the motor and sonic hardware are found in any number of other off-brand machines that used generic parts. While uncommon, they aren’t “extremely rare”, so I’m sure that someone who owns one will surface and provide you with photos of the parts that you need, which you will likely then be able to source from a major parts supplier like George Vollema (who is closed until April) or Dwayne Wyatt; or from a fellow collector. Worst-case scenario the reproducer is marked ‘Fern-O-Grand’, but the genetic equivalent would certainly be acceptable until a marked one is located (I have no idea whether they are marked or not).
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

There is a Fern-O-Grand on e-Bay right now.
Interesting that it looks a little different on the inside.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fern-O-Grand-1 ... rk:36:pf:0

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Thanks everyone for the welcome. I see the one on eBay has a straight arm. If I could find a straight arm and the crank comes out in right place I think I could engineer the horn perhaps better than it was as I am a crazy horn speaker guy (-: and know the math ropes pretty good. I was thinking about buying a portable and adapting it. As long as the arm is hollow I can continue the horn huh? I truly doubt I will find the rest of the guts but you guts sure know more than I do. Don't want to spend to much either. Thanks again everyone.

Benjamin_L
Victor III
Personal Text: Honk, honk.

Post by Benjamin_L »

I think Heinemann supplied the mechanical parts.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

The Fern-o-grand motor is unique. It is a round encased motor unlike any I've seen on other machines. I can take some pictures if you like but it may take a couple of days until I have time to do it.

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Thank you ^