WANTED: Lead Governor Weight for Paillard Motor

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jwb88
Victor II

WANTED: Lead Governor Weight for Paillard Motor

Post by Jwb88 »

Bit of a long shot, but here it goes: Does anyone have a governor weight matching the one I have pictured? I am fixing up a European portable with a motor by Paillard (I think). One of its three governor weights is missing. I've tried standard Victor weights, but they are too large and hit the corner pillar. I've also experimented with some lighter weights I found in my parts bin and have got the machine working so-so, but I'm sure the original set would be best.

The weight needed measures 19mm (¾") in diameter and 10.5mm (about 19/32")high, weighing 22grams.

I found the screw in the case, but oddly enough no weight. I will also check with the major parts dealers but I just thought I'd ask in case anyone happens to have one. The governor springs measure 49mm x 5mm, quite thin, which I've seen on a few European style motors. If anyone has these, I'm also interested, but I haven't checked with the main dealers yet because finding a matching weight (or new set) seems most important to me.

Thanks,
-John
Attachments
weight needed.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (95.52 KiB) Viewed 467 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: WANTED: Lead Governor Weight for Paillard Motor

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Could you try casting a new set from lead?

Lead casting is super easy. I have access to some simple molds to do that sort of thing with, but this will require a custom mold.

All you do--take the shape of it in something like waxed sand, melt some wheel weights or some bullet lead, and pour. Then tap them to take the screws, and then adjust each with a small file for 22 grams.

Should work if you can't find a set.

Oh, and do this out-of-doors for the sake of health. Lead is, of course, poisonous.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

That's the best idea so far, and that might be the route I go. Much appreciated, thanks!

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Could you try casting a new set from lead?
I knew a guy who used a 50/50 mix of plaster of paris and sand, to cast aluminum. Cheap and easy to find the materials.

If you do go this route, I'd be happy to balance the weights for you using a lab scale.