Wanted: Type B / Eagle "Black" Screws for Governor Springs

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Wanted: Type B / Eagle "Black" Screws for Governor Sprin

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when I was torch-bluing hardware I was told that using chemicals was safer to avoid over-heating the steel parts & losing the temper of the metal. After watching my kid brother (who is training himself as a self-taught blacksmith) I believe it. Heating metals until they glow changes the properties of the steel.

I should post pics. I blued the needle arm of a Columbia Analyzing Reproducer which carries a spring-loaded chuck. If I had torched it, then my BN Graphophone wouldn't be able to hold its needles in as the spring would have been annealed & lost its sproing. Anyway, while it wasn't the kind of steel that blues very well, I was able to get it looking very nice with that bluing solution.

Then again, I have also torchblued parts and liked the results. I didn't know better but they weren't all that bad looking when I finished.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong here, but when I was torch-bluing hardware I was told that using chemicals was safer to avoid over-heating the steel parts & losing the temper of the metal. After watching my kid brother (who is training himself as a self-taught blacksmith) I believe it. Heating metals until they glow changes the properties of the steel.

I should post pics. I blued the needle arm of a Columbia Analyzing Reproducer which carries a spring-loaded chuck. If I had torched it, then my BN Graphophone wouldn't be able to hold its needles in as the spring would have been annealed & lost its sproing. Anyway, while it wasn't the kind of steel that blues very well, I was able to get it looking very nice with that bluing solution.

Then again, I have also torchblued parts and liked the results. I didn't know better but they weren't all that bad looking when I finished.
You're correct. I say black Sharpie. Bada-bing. Done.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ODIE3
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I Like Old Tech!

Post by ODIE3 »

sharpee? hmmm. :squirrel:
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

ODIE3 wrote:sharpee? hmmm. :squirrel:
SSSHHHhhhhhhhhh...don't give away the biggest secret of this forum... ;)
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

shhhh, I did that to the lead weights and then shellac'ed them. Though one lead weight still flew off and hit me in the head (ouch). It was more of a experiment while a new set was being ordered. Clearly my Eagle said "no" and hit me in the head!
-----------
Richard
Columbia Type B 181874 - was my uncles, who found it in a ghost town (so he told me).
Victrola VV-IX 161087 G - was my great grandmothers, I remember dancing with her when I was 4 or so in her parlor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

ODIE3 wrote:shhhh, I did that to the lead weights and then shellac'ed them. Though one lead weight still flew off and hit me in the head (ouch). It was more of a experiment while a new set was being ordered. Clearly my Eagle said "no" and hit me in the head!
Maybe I should rethink my suggestion...or start wearing a (better) helmet. :geek:

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

I agree that heating screws and bolt to high temperature takes some of the temper out of them but in most cases there is not much torque involved with simple screws and I've never had a problem in 25 years.

I'm Certainly not an expert in metallurgy but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express one time..LOL

blizz

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Perhaps they're not a problem now but phonographs tend to outlast what we think they should. All the machines I find usually have screws "welded" in by the oil that was supposed to ease their removal.

So yes, I kind of like leaving the temper original...but black Sharpies? That is hilarious! Also--it actually might look pretty good!

ODIE3
Victor Jr

Post by ODIE3 »

I do appreciate the ideas!!! Though seeing that I'll have to make "black/blued" screws I might as well get a new set to experiment with. I'll either ring up Ron Sitko or see what MicaMonster with EdisonDiamondDisc.com has.

I have decided to send my Eagle in for spring replacement (mine is very tired) and a complete D1 reproducer rebuild. That along with a good cleaning due to getting to the motor and some wood treatment. I've been emailing MicaMonster all morning, he knows his stuff and seems to like working on Eagles :-)

PS: holiday inn express - been a while since I have hear that! LOL
-----------
Richard

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Wyatt is a great choice, he's very skilled, to say the least.

Best,
Fran