WANTED: “That Old Black Magic”

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Raphael
Victor IV

WANTED: “That Old Black Magic”

Post by Raphael »

Looking for a 78-rpm copy of “That Old Black Magic” sung by Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Condition Excellent or better.

Please reply by direct email, not the TMF message system.

Thanks,

Raphael

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: WANTED: “That Old Black Magic”

Post by OrthoSean »

In 35 years, I've never seen a 78 of this one. Are you sure it was issued on 78? I probably have 4 or 5 45s of it, but again, never seen or heard of it being available on 78.

Sean

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Not sure at all if it was released as a 78. I remember as a kid in the 50’s seeing them perform it on TV. My mother loved Keely Smith. In any event, we have my in-law’s 60th anniversary party coming up and am hoping to add it to my jukebox repertoire Besides the stuff loaded onto my Wurlitzer 1080, we will also have a live 7-piece mariachi band and vocalist. My wife will spend months planning this event. My job is to keep the jukebox loaded with stuff that doesn’t age. A few months ago I reached out here on the TMF and got “Papa Loves Mambo” which was a big hit at my 70th birthday party. Even the younger generation couldn’t sit still when it played.

Raphael

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

This was released in 1958 on Capitol, so I'd call it unlikely that there was a US release on 78. Perhaps in Canada, which issued 78s into 1959 and 1960.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

The latest US pressed 78 I own (not counting repro discs) is "Fever" by Peggy Lee, incidentally on Capitol, pressed on super nice quiet vinyl. It's from 1958, so it's possible the Prima / Smith was issued, but like I said, I've never seen it.

If it does exist, I hope you find one for your 1080, it would certainly sound great on 78 in a jukebox. All of this is making me miss my 1100!

Sean

78recordpicker
Victor I

Post by 78recordpicker »

to the best of my knowledge this record does not exist as a 78 (Prima and Smith)

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

78recordpicker wrote:to the best of my knowledge this record does not exist as a 78 (Prima and Smith)

Sadly, I have come to this conclusion as well. Thanks to all for your inputs.

Raphael

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Raphael wrote:
78recordpicker wrote:to the best of my knowledge this record does not exist as a 78 (Prima and Smith)

Sadly, I have come to this conclusion as well. Thanks to all for your inputs.

Raphael
Maybe donniej can help out- he has a cutter. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

Stumbed across this on YouTube. Nice to see this in full color!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHcYjPEYSsk[/youtube]

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

Raphael wrote:Looking for a 78-rpm copy of “That Old Black Magic” sung by Louis Prima and Keely Smith. Condition Excellent or better.

Please reply by direct email, not the TMF message system.

Thanks,

Raphael
Hey Raphael!

Time for me to weigh in here. As you know from our last interaction I collect 78rpm records from the late 1800's through the late 1960's.

I am pleased to inform you all that the Louis Prima/Keely Smith 78rpm version of "That Old Black Magic" DOES EXIST. I Have always liked Louis Prima and, again have a complete run of nearly all of his 78rpm recordngs. Over the last 20+ years I have purchased three (3) copies; one Canadian copy that arrived poorly packed and broken, one British copy that was crushed in transit and arrived broken and my MINT South African copy that arrived in its own hand made wooden box in bulletproof packing which is safely stored on one of my jukeboxes. They are all on the same basic style purple Capitol label with silver lettering. It is hard to find on 78 but not impossible. Unfortunately it was never pressed into a Vinyl 78, only Shellac which is why it took me so long to get a copy in tact. Funny it's not a high dollar item--just hard to find a copy of. I usually always look for a backup copy of a record I like; but never looked for another copy because I was so upset with the poor quality of the packing shipping and handling that I gave up. Honestly if I did come across another copy I would also keep it. If sellers and shippers only realized that each broken record is another piece of history lost! Crap packing and shipping will always be with us. To remind me of this; I have nearly 200 broken records in a file drawer near my computer as a sort of "still want" list; but never expect that I have added another record to my collection until the package is received and opened and the record survived. Still makes me sick to my stomach to receive a broken record. Most sellers don't understand that I don't want my money back'-I WANT THE DAMN RECORD! I have always gotten refunds on all broken records received but some took a great deal of effort and fight. I have filed a lot of Ebay and PayPal cases over the years and won all of them. Because of this history I am very hesitant to buy if someone doesn't take PayPal. Keep hope alive and I'll start searching for a couple more copies. This may take a couple of years,though. Best of luck in all of your pursuits! Mark Roberts