For Sale: Reproduction 5" Berliners - $30

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
donniej
Victor III

For Sale: Reproduction 5" Berliners - $30

Post by donniej »

You may have read that John Levin recently loaned his 5" Berliner collection for duplication. Thanks to his generosity the following additional titles are now available. These will also be available at the Wayne show. Three copies of each are currently available, additional copies will be available after the show in mid-April. They are $30 each + $5 shipping per order. All are in above average condition, #40 had a crack which sounds but plays through. 390 and 109 may be only known copies. These copies are made in a material similar in properties to the original hard rubber. I've added a milling process (as needed) making them close to the original thickness, this is only important if playing on a period-correct machine. Please specify if you're using an original machine and I'll ensure they're close to the ideal 1.5mm thickness. They play at approximately 100rpm's.

390 "Gigerl Marsch" March (Gigerl = Austrian for "Dandy")
109 "Tannhauser" Trumpet Quartet
467 "Post" Piston Solo
27 "Thou Knowst My Pretty Damsel" Speech
40 "We Don't Want to Fight" Song (referring to the anticipated Russian occupation of Constantinople in the 1880's).

Mlund2020
Victor II

Re: For Sale: Reproduction 5" Berliners - $30

Post by Mlund2020 »

I will take one of each. PM sent

nessie
Victor Jr

Post by nessie »

I'll take one of each, too.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

1 of each as well.

(By "period correct", do you mean a Berliner hand wind, or just an acoustic machine? I don't have any Berliner machines.)

Bill

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Lucius1958 wrote:
(By "period correct", do you mean a Berliner hand wind, or just an acoustic machine? I don't have any Berliner machines.)
The batch currently being offered is made of a material like the vulcanized latex originals. They will wear quickly if played with a steel needle, like the originals. The milling I mentioned in only necessary for a Kammer & Reinhardt (or reproduction) machine, as they apparently have difficulty holding down a disc thicker than 2mm.

The shellac compatible copies will be available after Wayne (mid-April).

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

donniej wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:
The batch currently being offered is made of a material like the vulcanized latex originals. They will wear quickly if played with a steel needle, like the originals. The milling I mentioned in only necessary for a Kammer & Reinhardt (or reproduction) machine, as they apparently have difficulty holding down a disc thicker than 2mm.

The shellac compatible copies will be available after Wayne (mid-April).
Got it!

Bill

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

All discs have been shipped, most of you will have your discs on Saturday.
These are probably some of the nicest condition 5" Berliners left and I sincerely hope these being out in the world for people to see and hear will increase interest in the hobby but also encourage owners of other copies of these rare discs to make them available for duplication as well.

Thank you.