FOUND: Victrola double spring drum

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
apruizii
Victor II

FOUND: Victrola double spring drum

Post by apruizii »

I have a 1919 VV-IX table top that I'm trying to bring back to life :-) When I turn the crank I feel tension up to a certain point but don't reach the end of the spring. When I play a record, it slows down after about 2 minutes and requires turning the crank some more to have enough tension to finish playing the rest of the record. I would guess these are symptoms of one of the two springs being broken.

I have no experience in repairing nor replacing the spring and want to just try swapping the double spring drum with one having a working set of springs. Please send me a PM if you have a spare double spring drum.

Thanks!

AR
Last edited by apruizii on Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: WANTED: Victrola double spring drum

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Send me the drum; I'll fix it. Do you want a pair of new springs or "blacksmithed" old ones?

Ron Sitko is also a very good repairman. You're better off keeping the originality of your Victrola by doing this rather than junking out another to get yours back to life. Of course, a lot of VV-IXes are pretty "junky" today but they're so easily fixed that it's more logical just to fix up what you have.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Send me the drum; I'll fix it. Do you want a pair of new springs or "blacksmithed" old ones?
Another example of the Forum at its best!!! :D

Jerry Blais

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Charles,

Thanks for offering to fix/replace the springs, but I found a good deal on ebay for an entire motor with working springs and will just swap out the spring barrel and will keep the rest of the parts as spares for future projects.

Once again, I really appreciate you trying to help me out!

AR