WANTED: revolver tonearm for Vocalion gramophone and id help

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

WANTED: revolver tonearm for Vocalion gramophone and id help

Post by Inigo »

I’m in desperate need of a new tonearm, revolver-type, for a period model Aeolian-Vocalion gramophone. It’s from 1918-1921 era, and is a gilded pot metal tonearm. Help identifying this machine would be much appreciated...

The tonearm is divided in three sections:

- The elbow, with support bracket. It has an upper pin fixed with a side screw for adjusting. At the base it has two screws for attaching the unique Vocalion automatic brake plate and lever. My bracket is broken, but repaired successfully with super glue.
- The middle section, which is a straight tube with a downwards curve towards the soundbox end. The back part is a spheroid that engages in the elbow section thru a long pin with screw and nut. The front end has two deep grooves for engaging the next section in two possible positions. This front end has broken in several pieces. I can fix it, but it is very delicate.
- The end section is a short double-elbow tube. At the back it has a spring loaded ball and set screw device for engaging into the tonearm in two different positions that allow the use for lateral/vertical records.

The soundbox enters in the last curved tube by means of another spring loaded ball and set screw, which allows revolving the soundbox upwards for changing needles.

I’m in bad need of a new elbow bracket and middle section in good shape. Gilded is preferable, but any other version would serve. Also if there is another version in steel or more solid metal, I’d be interested in that too... provided it retains the revolver feature that allows use with both types or records, and if the length is the same.

This gramophone was purchased twenty years ago. It was the gramophone in the salon of a grand hotel built in the twenties, which was later closed in 1936. The hotel stayed closed since then, until a major reopening and overhaul was planned. The remaining of the furnishings were sold, but the grand daughter of the proprietors was given some things, this machine among them.

It has gilded hardware, except the winding handle, and the sound system has the Graduola device for sound volume regulation. All except the mazak tonearm is in great shape.

The wooden cabinet was entirely dismantled, thoroughly cleaned and rewaxed.

The top of the lid suffered from humidity, and is deformed, but it was fixed and is safe. Its damage adds to the time patina, and as it is, is a real beauty. Illumination from the photos don't do justice to its impressive aspect.

The lid stay was also broken, but I've got a replacement, not yet installed.
IMG_20190415_220549.jpg
IMG_20190415_220601.jpg
IMG_20190415_220651.jpg
IMG_20190415_220702.jpg
IMG_20190415_220716.jpg
IMG_20190415_220755.jpg
IMG_20190415_220813.jpg
Thanks,
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Re: WANTED: revolver tonearm for Vocalion gramophone and id

Post by Inigo »

Re: no one can help identifying this machine? The inner part of the lid says Aeolian Vocalion, and near the corner, smaller golden lettering says Graduola.
I've not seen many Vocalion catalogues, but this model send to be a special one, not the standard line.
I also need to replace the tonearm...
Thanks.
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I've looked over the couple of Aeolian Vocalion catalogues I spotted online, and while there are a few that are similar in shape--low & boxy--none come close to what you have. The problem is, while this may have appeared in one of the Aeolian Vocalion catalogues, it was probably listed for a short period. I get the impression that some of the art case/period models only had single production runs, say for a year at the most.

I think it would help if someone who is familiar with the design elements of period styles could say what it's patterned after -- Jacobean? William & Mary?

As for the tonearm, these come up from time to time on sites such as eBay, but aren't necessarily identified as having been culled from an Aeolian Vocalion phonograph. You might also try checking with some of the parts suppliers/repair companies listed on this forum. Great Lakes -- https://www.victroladoctor.com/ -- is a good starting place.

OrthoFan

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

OrthoFan wrote:I've looked over the couple of Aeolian Vocalion catalogues I spotted online, and while there are a few that are similar in shape--low & boxy--none come close to what you have. The problem is, while this may have appeared in one of the Aeolian Vocalion catalogues, it was probably listed for a short period. I get the impression that some of the art case/period models only had single production runs, say for a year at the most.

I think it would help if someone who is familiar with the design elements of period styles could say what it's patterned after -- Jacobean? William & Mary?

As for the tonearm, these come up from time to time on sites such as eBay, but aren't necessarily identified as having been culled from an Aeolian Vocalion phonograph. You might also try checking with some of the parts suppliers/repair companies listed on this forum. Great Lakes -- https://www.victroladoctor.com/ -- is a good starting place.

OrthoFan
Jacobean sounds close: I might be more inclined to say (given its location) Spanish Baroque?

Bill

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, colleagues. I've lately come to think that it could be a custom made model or a Spanish model. Aeolian also had an agency in Madrid, in the most elegant District, and it was a very important music house here. Maybe they built this gramophone by special order for the hotel it was to be destined to reside?
Thanks also for the pointing to Vollema. I'll contact him for a surplus tonearm.
Inigo