SOLD: Ex-Rare 1924 Edison Special Diamond Disc - Inquire

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FellowCollector
Victor IV

SOLD: Ex-Rare 1924 Edison Special Diamond Disc - Inquire

Post by FellowCollector »

Back in the summer (July) 1992 I was walking around a field at the Brimfield Massachusetts antique show with sweat dripping off me and tired of walking for miles past antique dealer tents looking for early phonographs and records. A buddy of mine (and a friendly competitor for the same stuff!) who was also walking around the field found me and said, "Hey, Doug, did you see the box of Edison records under the table in that tent over there (pointing)?". I said, "No...and I'm so tired of walking here all day finding practically nothing that I'm going to head back to my car and call it a day. Did you already look through them?" He smiled and said, "Nah. I'm not interested and besides I don't wanna lug that stupid box of records all the way back to my car anyway. The dealer has a sign on the box 'MUST TAKE ALL. NO CHERRY PICKING.' ". I wished my friend good luck and we parted.

I decided 'what the heck...nothing ventured nothing gained' and walked over to the tent. Sure enough there was this big box of Edison Diamond Discs. I knelt down and went through about 4 or 5 records and I was so tired at that point that it was enough for me. The sign was there just like my friend told me. I called out to the dealer sitting in a folding chair in the shade, "What's your best on the box of records here?". He yelled out, "Take 'em all...fifty bucks FIRM!". I figured I'd take a chance and handed the guy a fifty dollar bill and asked that he cover the box up until I could bring my car out onto Route 20 and carry the box to the car. That box must've weighed at least 60 pounds but I managed to park my car briefly on Route 20 (VERY BUSY during the antique show and amazingly I did not get a ticket!) about a half hour later and loaded the box. A few days later I made the long drive home and next day I went through the Edison records and found this one in the group.

I've no idea of its value but I do know that very, very few copies were pressed of this record (maybe 20? but that's only a guess) and surely only a few of these survive today. I had written on the sleeve that it was recorded on May 24, 1924 but I have not researched anything to determine if that's accurate. I've not seen this record in at least 25 years. This afternoon while doing some Spring cleaning I found it hidden away inside a box with other Diamond Discs (probably the same ones that were with it in Brimfield that very day I bought the whole box!). If anyone here is interested in purchasing the record please contact me by PM only, please. Maybe we can work out a deal.

As I recall when I played this record (just once back in 1992) it sounded just like a small High School Band of today would sound...with that youthful band sound. The performance was completely captivating and I'm sure that I smiled as I listened. I'm sure that I would smile again listening to it today, nearly 27 years later. I think you would as well. Thanks for listening.

Doug
Attachments
Drury HS Band 2.JPG
Drury HS Band 1.JPG
Last edited by FellowCollector on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: FOR SALE: Ex-Rare 1924 Edison Special Diamond Disc - Inq

Post by audiophile102 »

Just a guess, but possibly you might try selling it to the high school. https://www.facebook.com/OfficialDruryHighSchoolPage/
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

vansteem78
Victor II

Re: FOR SALE: Ex-Rare 1924 Edison Special Diamond Disc - Inq

Post by vansteem78 »

So how much are you asking for this Drury High School band from North Adams? I don't understand when someone wants to sell something why they don't tell you the price? Inquiring! Neil