SOLD: Gold Victor #2 Reproducer $40

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Skihawx
Victor III

SOLD: Gold Victor #2 Reproducer $40

Post by Skihawx »

Have a Victor #2 reproducer with nice gold and nice back. Could use a new mica diaphragm.
But still plays as is. Have a couple more pictures if you really need them. PM with questions.
Attachments
Victor #2.JPG
Victor #2 1.JPG
Last edited by Skihawx on Fri May 10, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: Gold Victor #2 Reproducer $40

Post by EdisonWizard »

Curious, is this better to play more expensive records? I remember reading somewhere that the No2 (or 4)was lighter than the exhibition, so when playing more rare records on our Victoria’s to swap the reproducers. Or am I thinking of the No4? Or am I full of crap and dreamed this up :lol:

If so I wouldn’t mind buying this just to have.
J.F.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

As to the Exhibition vs. the No. 2, this article is worth a read: http://www.victor-victrola.com/Soundbox%20Article.htm

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Henry wrote:As to the Exhibition vs. the No. 2, this article is worth a read: http://www.victor-victrola.com/Soundbox%20Article.htm

The article compares the Concert, Exhibition and No. 2. Lot's of variables here but I would say generally there are small improvements from Concert to Exhibition to No. 2, but not major. The No. 4 though is a major improvement for late acoustic and early electric records. For early acoustic records, not much difference there either.

As much as I love playing records on original equipment, for clean, very desirable, "expensive" records modern equipment is the way to go imho. I mean turntable with multiple styli and electric amplification.

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I use a gold Victrola #2 sound box (much like the one listed here) on a Kent lateral adapter arm for use on an Edison disc machine. I find it sounds great for this purpose. I think it sounds significantly louder and fuller in tone to any of my Exhibitions, but less clear/crisp. Completely subjective, just throwing my opinion out there.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I've also read this opinion elsewhere, referring to the cleanliness of sound of a good Exhibition. And that no 2, as you've said, was kind of improvement, in bass and volume. But somehow the heavier mechanism, larger diaphragm and sound chamber in the no.2 made it sound deeper and louder, but less crisp than the Exhibition. Someone has said that there's nothing that beats down the sound of a properly rebuilt Exhibition, with adequate steel needle (soft tone the better) playing a Caruso record in good condition.
For this issue much has been written, and still more will be said... It's an interesting and very complex matter that never ceases of amazing us, critical listeners with mechanical minds... Every small variation in mass or compliance of every bit in the mechanical chain producing the sound matters. Subtle changes can kill the sound, or can rise it up until near-perfection... That's clear.
Inigo