FOR SALE: Two HMV 109 table grams $175 SOLD

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: FOR SALE: Two HMV 109 table grams $175

Post by Inigo »

The original soundbox for these machines is the HMV no. 4, And I suppose the Victor equivalent also fits. What is better, if you want to improve the sound still more, is to install an orthophonic no.5 or HMV no. 5A/B. It can be easily adapted to this narrower tonearm by simply interchanging the back rubber neck, for the difference is in the tonearm bore only. The metal collar at the soundbox back which holds in place the rubber collar is the same size in both types of soundboxes, so the tonearm adaptor is interchangeable. I use a red rubber only collar made for Meltrope soundboxes and sold in eBay. The original HMV collars were black rubber with a brass ring insert, and the rubber usually has hardened with age. The fresh newly made red rubber collars for Meltrope are a very good substitute.
The no. 5/5A/5B soundbox adds still more bass to these little orthophonic consoles, and the treble definition also improves.
The 109s are ideal and comfortable machines for daily use.
Besides that, it is easyly repairable for you across the pond, for the motor hmv no.32 with double spring is the equivalent to the Victor model. Many parts are interchangeable, except the turntable spindle, which I believe it's a tiny bit different in length. But the important and delicate parts (main gears, governor, spring barrels and springs) are interchangeable.
Inigo

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

I already have one (and in any case I am on the wrong side of the world), but I can recommend these. This model usually sells for about £100 in Britain. Both seem to be in better condition than some – often the veneer on the doors is swollen and distorted – and, as Inigo has said, it is not difficult to fit a sound-box of the 5 series if you feel that the tone of the No. 4 is too shallow or too penetrating for electrical recordings.

Oliver Mundy.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

I have joined the PM chorus...

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Just to mention that I use many times daily a Number 2 HMV sound box on my 'work horse' Frankenphone and to me it performs really well with a whole range of records.