WANTED: Spanish Series U-S Everlasting cylinder records

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
apruizii
Victor II

WANTED: Spanish Series U-S Everlasting cylinder records

Post by apruizii »

While researching the U-S Everlasting cylinders on the internet I found a publication written by Allan Sutton which provides a U-S Everlasting cylinder catalog that is based on the compilation of existing data including original catalogs, supplements, trade paper listings, etc. This is a great reference for the U-S Everlasting cylinders. Here's the link:

https://78records.files.wordpress.com/2 ... asting.pdf

I am very interested in the Spanish series cylinders listed in the Ethnic section of the catalog. Most if not all of the singers below are probably Cuban or Mexican.

Does anyone by chance have any of the cylinders listed below or any Spanish Lakesides, Amberols or Indestructibles, or even 60000 series Edison Diamond Discs records which have Spanish singers as well?

SPANISH SERIES (Two-Minute)

6000 Listed: Jun 1911 El Modelo Parisiense (The Parisian Model): Duo del matrimonio — Zarzuela (Hoffman)Pedro & Emilia Bolbeno

6001 Listed: Jun 1911 La Viuda Alegre (The Merry Widow): Calle el labio (Lehar) Pedro B. Vinart & Señora De la Rocha

6002 Listed: Jun 1911 La Viuda Alegre (The Merry Widow): Canción de Danilo, al Restaurante Maxim (Lehar) Pedro B. Vinart

6003 Listed: Jun 1911 La noche de reyes — JotaPedro B. Vinart

6004 Listed: 1912 La bruja — Jota Dos CoplasPedro B. Vinart

6005 Listed: 1912 El caramelo — Zapateado, Zarzuela (Andelusian traditional) B. Sánchez

6006 Listed: 1912 La Japonesa — Rumba Adolfo Colombo & Regino Lopez

6007 Listed: 1912 La prangana — Rumba (Villalón) Adolfo Colombo & Regino Lopez (guitar acc.)

6008 Listed: 1912 Otitia — Bolero (Ardois - Ardios) Adolfo Colombo & Regino Lopez

6009 Listed: 1912 Primavera — Bolero (Villalón )Adolfo Colombo & Regino LopezFrom the 1912 catalog: “Havana’s favorite singers.”

Thanks!

AR
Last edited by apruizii on Wed May 06, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

apruizii
Victor II

Re: WANTED: Spanish Series U-S Everlasting cylinder records

Post by apruizii »

Wow, so no one out there has Spanish series cylinders nor Edison DD records??

AR

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

APS Members who have online accounts also have access to the US Everlasting Cylinder Record Discography, Major H.H. Annand

US Everlasting Cylinder Record Discography

The Complete Catalogue of the United States Everlasting Indestructible Cylinders, 1908 - 1913
Attachments
Everlasting.jpg
Everlasting.jpg (58.57 KiB) Viewed 1347 times

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

rodpickett,

Thanks for the information with regard to the US Everlasting Cylinder Record Discography.

However, I'm very surprised that no one on the forum has chimed in to answer my question:

Does anyone by chance have any of the cylinders listed below or any Spanish Lakesides, Amberols or Indestructibles, or even 60000 series Edison Diamond Discs records which have Spanish singers as well?

I guess I'm the only one on the forum with interest in Hispanic music... :? :?

AR
Last edited by apruizii on Wed May 06, 2020 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

apruizii wrote:rodpickett,

I guess I'm the only one on the forum with interest in Hispanic music...

AR
Not necessarily, they may just be very hard to come by. I would also like to have cylinders in Spanish, especially since my parents are Hispanic and I'm sure they would enjoy it. The closest I've come to it is Spanish lesson ICS cylinders

Martin

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Martin,

Yeah, the closest cylinders related to Spanish I have seen on line are those of foreign language learning cylinder records (including Spanish) from Rafael Diaz de la Cortina (Cortina Language Records made by U-S Everlasting), who was the first one teaching foreign languages incorporating the use of the phonograph.

However, I've had no luck with finding any cylinder nor Diamond Disc records with Spanish performers.

I guess that makes two of us in having interests in these Hispanic records... :)

AR

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

apruizii wrote:Martin,

Yeah, the closest cylinders related to Spanish I have seen on line are those of foreign language learning cylinder records (including Spanish) from Rafael Diaz de la Cortina (Cortina Language Records made by U-S Everlasting), who was the first one teaching foreign languages incorporating the use of the phonograph.

However, I've had no luck with finding any cylinder nor Diamond Disc records with Spanish performers.

I guess that makes two of us in having interests in these Hispanic records... :)

AR
If you would like to find any cylinder records in spanish, I would suggest maybe looking for 2 minute mexican blue amberols. They are scarce and a little expensive, but I dont recall the prices being out of this world. Maybe you're lucky enough and someone might have one they could sell.

Martin

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Martin,

Thanks for the reply. That is the intent of my posting...to find any cylinders or DD's of Spanish performers, which apparently are scarce due to the lack of responses and sound of crickets. :lol:

AR

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Apruizii,

I've been watching this post with interest, as I have some Spanish records in the Paramount 6000 series (tough to find) that I love. I have never seen any of the records you refer to from Edison, Indestructible, Lakeside, or U.S. Everlasting.

I'm a bit confused though (nothing new ;) ), and I've got a question for you: As a researcher are you just looking for information about these records, or are you looking to buy them from collectors here? You've asked several times (w/o response):
Perhaps a few TMF members have some of these records and would be more than willing to provide information for your research --- but, since they are likely collectors, the records they own may not be for sale! I wouldn't fault anyone for wanting to keep records they may have and want to keep!

Just a thought,
Bob

apruizii
Victor II

Post by apruizii »

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear in my original posting. I'm interested in buying those Spanish records that I mentioned from members on the forum who would be willing to sell them.

My quest for Spanish records (pre-1930) goes beyond cylinder and DD records. I'm also interested in buying Spanish pre-1930 shellac 78 RPM records. The only ones I have been able to find were in the streets of Lima, Peru last year in an antique market; I found 10 Victor Electrically recorded records of Tango music, probably recorded in Argentina. This was a very nice find for me. And earlier this year I looked for more Spanish records from that era in the street markets of Medellin, Colombia with no luck.

I know Victor records from the 1920's of Colombian music/singers exist because I've seen and heard them on Youtube. Here are a couple of links of some Colombian Music recorded in 1926 and 1928 on the Victor record label:

https://youtu.be/3OVmbDbN_ww

https://youtu.be/B6gfefaGfHM

So my hunt continues...

AR