SOLD: Edison Oak Amberola III Parts - Various $

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Crank_it_up
Victor III

SOLD: Edison Oak Amberola III Parts - Various $

Post by Crank_it_up »

I recently picked up this Amberola III that I will be parting out. Before you start to judge me for parting out a rare machine take a look at the pictures. This III had been cut off at the top of the legs to make it a counter top model. I have no history but was told the legs and shelf are nowhere to be found. If there is someone out there that has an empty cabinet and would like to buy all of the parts I would make you a great deal but I suggest you act quickly as I think the parts will sell fast. I will NOT ship the entire unit due to the size. I am in Southeast Florida and I will be at the Orlando Phonograph show in a few weeks and it could be picked up there. I can however ship most of the small parts. Shipping will be at actual cost and each part will be carefully packaged. Note the motor cranks smooth and the mechanism all functions properly but there is a noise that sounds like the governor gear and when the machine plays there is also a noticeable "flutter". I read some posts that it could be an issue with the flywheel, some fine wire that could be broken/missing but I am not familiar with these motors so cannot make a positive ID of the problem. Hopefully someone will chime in with the solution. The entire machine appears to have been sitting for a very long time. All I did was oil the factory points and removed the gear cover and oiled everything I could. I cleaned the machined "slide" surfaces and it started playing immediately. The reproducer sounds great, it plays very loud and clear. Some previous owner had sewn up a little mute ball to quiet it down. Here are the pictures and prices of various parts. I can get any other pictures someone may want.
Motor/Bedplate/Gear cover - mechanical issues mentioned above, cosmetic condition is very dirty and worn. Most everyone reading this already knows this is the same motor used in an Opera and Amberola B1 Price is $650 includes the auto-stop mechanism
Diamond A reproducer - condition is worn, I lightly cleaned it but may need to be restored depending on the machine you want to put it on - $500
Gold Crank - worn as seen in pictures - $50
Inquire about any small parts only after the major components are sold. In other words I don't want to sell the rear door or crank escutcheon and not sell any other part. Once the motor/bedplate is gone then I am OK selling off the bits and pieces. I really hope someone wants it all. One more note, the serial number on the data plate is 1102 and the number on the motor casting is 850 as can be seen in the pics.Thanks for looking. Preferred Payment will be personal check or money order. I also will be selling a large quantity of Blue Amberol records that came with it. I just need to get the numbers and pics before listing. They are in wonderful condition. Thanks again, hope to see everyone in Orlando, Joe
Attachments
IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
IMG_2255.JPG
IMG_2262.JPG
IMG_2266.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG
Last edited by Crank_it_up on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: FOR SALE: Edison Oak Amberola III Parts - Various $

Post by PeterF »

Behold the coming comment storm.

In the meantime, perhaps you might reconsider for a short bit. Cabinet is the same as the easily-found A-150 Diamond Disc phono, and you could easily keep it as an Amberola III using the legs and shelf from a donor cabinet - or do a transplant of the internals into the A-150 cabinet. The latter is less desirable because of the badging and stickers and whatnot, and I'm not sure about whether the crank hole locations are the same.

There aren't enough IIIs around anymore to give up on this one. Lots of them lost their mechs to make phony Operas back in the blacksmith era of phono collecting, and many others died for the same reason yours might - those awful spindly little legs.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'm not judging you, but I DO hope someone will step up and make you a good offer on it as-is. Unfortunately my project list is too long, and my funds too short right now. In another thread, VictrolaMonkey has shown how great things can be done having new legs made, which is really all that this needs. Hoping you'll give it one last chance as an intact, (or semi-intact), machine for a least a few more days.

marco
Victor II

Post by marco »

PeterF wrote:Behold the coming comment storm.

In the meantime, perhaps you might reconsider for a short bit. Cabinet is the same as the easily-found A-150 Diamond Disc phono, and you could easily keep it as an Amberola III using the legs and shelf from a donor cabinet - or do a transplant of the internals into the A-150 cabinet. The latter is less desirable because of the badging and stickers and whatnot, and I'm not sure about whether the crank hole locations are the same.

There aren't enough IIIs around anymore to give up on this one. Lots of them lost their mechs to make phony Operas back in the blacksmith era of phono collecting, and many others died for the same reason yours might - those awful spindly little legs.
This is the closest that I could ever come to getting one of these with my retirement income. I would consider taking the entire unit "as is;" but am in Ohio and would need a price for everything and have to figure out some sort of shipping before I could seriously consider it. Is the reproducer for 4 min blue amberols only? Thanks! Mark

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

marco wrote:
PeterF wrote:Behold the coming comment storm.

This is the closest that I could ever come to getting one of these with my retirement income. I would consider taking the entire unit "as is;" but am in Ohio and would need a price for everything and have to figure out some sort of shipping before I could seriously consider it. Is the reproducer for 4 min blue amberols only? Thanks! Mark
The Diamond A reproducer is for any 4-minute celluloid cylinder, so Blue Amberol, 4M Indestructible, 4M U-S Everlasting, etc. will all be fine.

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Post by Crank_it_up »

Sale is pending on the entire unit. I will confirm tomorrow and post. Thanks for all of the inquiries and the good conversations.
Joe

Crank_it_up
Victor III

Re: SOLD: Edison Oak Amberola III Parts - Various $

Post by Crank_it_up »

I’m happy to report the III has been sold and remains intact.
Joe

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

GREAT!

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks Peter for saving this great oak Amberola III! Great machines! Another one dodges the dust!
Is the reproducer for 4 min blue amberols only? Thanks! Mark
I should say that the Amberola III, as well as the Amberola 1B and Opera, can also play 4 minute wax Amberols as long as you have an L or M reproducer. Marc.

tom
Victor Jr

Post by tom »

Here are some pictures of the Amberola III restored.
Attachments
Restored Amberola III
Restored Amberola III