Tinfoil to Stereo - First Edition - For Sale - $40

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Tinfoil to Stereo - First Edition - For Sale - $40

Post by Jerry B. »

I am selling a first edition of "Tinfoil to Stereo" in the original dust cover for $40 plus postage. It was written by Oliver Read and Walter Welch and dates from 1959. This was a very important book for early phonograph collectors. Thanks, Jerry Blais - jerry.blais@yahoo.com or 541-990-0781 or PM.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Tinfoil to Stereo - First Edition - For Sale - $40

Post by Henry »

Many years ago I picked up one of these cheap, IIRC from publishers' overstock/remainder mail-order outfit (remember Marlboro Books, or Publishers Clearing House when it really WAS a publishers clearing house? There was a similar outfit called Publishers Central Bureau). One day, while weeding my book collection for needed shelf space, I decided that FTFTS was expendable (it seemed to favor Edison history, which was of small interest to me then), so I donated it to a local book sale. I hope it found a new owner who appreciated it more than I did. He/she certainly would have found it a bargain at the sale.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Tinfoil to Stereo - First Edition - For Sale - $40

Post by Jerry B. »

The copy in my personal phono library (not the one I am selling on this trader) was owned by first generation collector Orville White, passed to Ira Dueltgen, sold to John Davis and gifted to me by John. All three previous owners were early collectors in the Pacific Northwest and each was well respected and loved. I value the book as much for their signatures as anything else. Both Ira and John were dear friends as well as collecting mentors.

Anyone that has not read Tinfoil to Stereo should know there are many inaccuracies and much personal bias of the authors in the content of the book. With that said, it is still interesting to read what was available to collectors fifty years ago. I am sure it influenced our hobby in general and me personally.

Jerry Blais