FS: VITAPHONE TABLETOP MODEL 28 - $600

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
PHONOMIKE
Victor III

FS: VITAPHONE TABLETOP MODEL 28 - $600

Post by PHONOMIKE »

Another rare machine up for grabs. Here is a Vitaphone model 28. You don't see these very often so here's your chance to own this one.

Here is what I dug up online:

The Vitaphone is a Canadian company that produced these phonographs out of Toronto. The distinguishing features of the Vitaphone were a wooden tone-arm and stationary sound-box. A solid wood tone arm vibrated along with the stylus, and communicated the sound to a diaphragm kept under constant tension by a string attached to a coil spring under the motor board.

The Good:
Rare machine not often found.
Case is in good condition.
Internal horn. Lid must be closed for sound to come out top portion where speaker grill is.
All looks to be original.

The Bad:
Motor works and runs fine, until you put the needle on a record then it slows.
I'm not sure how the string/reproducer/tonearm all work together and I don't have the patience to even try to figure it out. This is left for someone else with more knowledge to work on.

I am asking $600 for this rare beauty. I doubt I could ship this but I can get it to Stanton's in November if that helps.

Ask any questions and I'll answer the best I can. Thanks.

Mike
Attachments
VITA1.jpg
VITA2.jpg
VITA3.jpg
VITA4.jpg
VITA9.jpg
VITA5.jpg
VITA6.jpg
VITA7.jpg
VITA8.jpg

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Re: FS: VITAPHONE TABLETOP MODEL 28 - $600

Post by travisgreyfox »

Honestly, I'm surprised nobody has inquired about this machine yet (at least publicly). It is very a unique, one of kind design with a pretty cabinet.

BillH_NJ
Victor II

Post by BillH_NJ »

Nice machines! I have one Canadian Vitaphone tabletop, but am more interested in acquiring more US machines produced in the factory here in Plainfield, NJ, where I live.

Bill

PHONOMIKE
Victor III

Post by PHONOMIKE »

This rare machine is still available and can be delivered to Stanton's.

You don't see these rare machines often at all. As an addition to my original ad, the motor does play thru a record with ease. I was using the wrong type of record when I originally tried it. The sound is low so I think the reproducer needs attention and a adjustment from the bracket to the horn in the lid.

I hope someone can put this rare and rarely seen machine in their collection.

Message with any questions or if you need more pictures.

Mike