FOR SALE: Nice Top Wind Columbia AJ Gramophone $1350 shipped USA

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE: Nice Top Wind Columbia AJ Gramophone $1350 shipped USA

Post by gramophone-georg »

Here's a nice, honest, and, as far as I can tell, original first style, second design top wind Columbia AJ. I say "first style, second design" because I have owned 3 of these with the brass colored horn elbow, yet a few of the earliest ones have a leather elbow with a "Berliner style" narrow horn end.

This little machine is a nice player. I did make a small non factory repair to the speed control rod by gluing a small pressed nut to the mechanism to compensate for stripped threads in the casting. This is visible in the 4th photo down. It sounds quite loud even with a soft tone needle. I overhauled the soundbox and disassembled/ cleaned/ lubed the motor, adding some unobtrusive sound deadening under it to lessen noise transfer to the cabinet.

The cabinet finish is original and a bit thin in spots, but it presents well and the decal is very presentable as well. The aluminum and nickel plating is very nice with the patina of 120 years. The brass colored horn elbow shows wear, and the horn has a few small areas of paint loss, and some extremely minor dents/ creases. The brass bell is tarnished. The horn is stamped "PAT APPL'D FOR" near the bell and the elbow is stamped "PATENTED". As far as I can tell, the arms and horn rest are original, but I'm no expert. If someone can give me definitive clues to look for I'd be happy to do so.

The motor runs with the typical side noise inherent to these very early machines. It is not overwhelming at all. The speed seems reasonably steady- when playing really early records it's always a toss-up whether this is the machine or the record if slight pitch variations are detected. This machine plays best with 65 revolutions of the crank from full wind down. Less and the records rend to slow down and stop in the beginning. It feels like it could easily go a few more winds but why mess with success? I've seen these machines with lots of wear to the top plate on the winding and spindle areas, but the wear here is negligible.

As with all these early-early disc machines, I hesitate to recommend constant daily playing, however, this old girl seems robust enough to reliably demonstrate any time you'd like.

If you've always wanted a super early top wind disc machine but simply cannot justify the eye- watering prices of Berliners and early ERJ/ Victor machines, this might just be the machine for you. I'm asking $1350.00 including careful packing and shipping in the Continental US. Of course, international shipping is also possible at a discounted rate. If you need a few 7" Columbia records to get you started, I will gladly throw a few in (not literally! :lol: ).

As always... Satisfaction guaranteed, offers considered, payment via PayPal "Friends and Family", your good check, or bank transfer accepted.
Attachments
IMG_6929.JPG
IMG_6928.JPG
IMG_6927.JPG
IMG_6926.JPG
IMG_6925.JPG
IMG_6924.JPG
IMG_6923.JPG
IMG_6922.JPG
IMG_6921.JPG
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Re: FOR SALE: Nice Top Wind Columbia AJ Gramophone $1450 shipped USA

Price reduced

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch

Re: FOR SALE: Nice Top Wind Columbia AJ Gramophone $1350 shipped USA

Final price reduction before going back in my collection or to eBay... a very happy Easter to all!