Found: Columbia Winding Key

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
BigC
Victor I

Found: Columbia Winding Key

Post by BigC »

Want to buy a Columbia winding key. I know I can buy a reproduction from ebay and other places but I want a beaten, rusty, worn key you know the one that gets thrown in the parts bin because it's too ugly to use but you don't want to toss it because someone might need it. Bought a Frankenphono on my trip to Tombstone and want to put a winding ket instead of the crank. If anyone has such a piece please let me know. Thanks.
Last edited by BigC on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: WANTED: Columbia Winding Key

Post by JerryVan »

It would help a lot if you mentioned what model Columbia you want the key for. Also, do you want the cast, fancy key, or the plain flat one?

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

It doesn't matter since I'm going to make a adapter to use it on the Frankenphono. I just want a well used and worn key that I can adapt to this project. Thanks.

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

Here is a picture of the Frankenphono. It has a Columbia two spring motor, Exhibition Reproducer, and the rest is from a Jack and Jill toy phonograph. The crank it came with is super long so I thought if could adapt a Columbia ket it would look better.
Attachments
20240421_184523.jpg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I think he wants a shorter "crank", not a "key"? If not, the only Columbia machines that used a "key" are the Q and B. I wouldn't waste an original on that project. Just buy the repo and "age" it with liquid cold gun bluing.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

CAN YOU POST A PICTURE OF WHAT THE CRANK LOOKS LIKE THAT CAME WITH IT??
NEED TO KNOW WHAT THE END LOOKS LIKE AND ALSO A COUPLE MEASUREMENTS WOULDNT HURT EITHER.

BLIZZ

BigC
Victor I

Post by BigC »

Good idea!!! Thanks for the suggestion I'll buy it and I and age it like that. Thanks.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

If you truly want a "key", I think you'll be disappointed when you try to wind a Columbia 2 spring motor with it. Expect blisters. Maybe you just want it for looks alone?

That's a neat little machine, by the way. :)
Last edited by JerryVan on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigC
Victor I

Re: Found: Columbia Winding Key

Post by BigC »

Thanks Curt and Blizz for your help.

BigC
Victor I

Re: Found: Columbia Winding Key

Post by BigC »

Yes Jerry it's for looks and to show the workings of a phonograph. The side drops and you can see the motor and all it's gears turning while it's still playing a record. They had it as the display in Tombstone with a Little Wonder record album. The top opens without having to remove the crank. It plays really good. But maybe you are right and I should just modify the original crank so it fits better.