Brunswick door decorations

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Phono-Phan
Victor V

Brunswick door decorations

Post by Phono-Phan »

Is anyone reproducing the door decorations for the Brunswick phonographs. I recently bought a nice Panatrope model and part of the door decoration is missing. Thanks in advance for any help. Ken Brekke
Attachments
Subject1.png
Subject1.png (272.17 KiB) Viewed 194 times

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Brunswick door decorations

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Hi Ken,

What's standard practice for reproducing these guys in the first place? I have a Panatrope 15-8 with intact decorations that look awful similar to the ones you have. They appear to be repwood aka cast sawdust pressings, instead of actual walnut carvings. If you can't find some from a scrap cabinet, I suppose I could figure out some way to try duplicating or molding from mine?

The Panatrope you have is awfully nice. These are underrated little machines. Mine is the wider lowboy console version with a felt-lined bin in the top to store records; I think these look strangely modern.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Thanks for the offer. I was wondering what kind of material would be used to make the mold from an original? Would the molding material stain the finish on the door? I wouldn't mind trying to make the mold myself but don't want to damage the finish on the door.

emerson
Victor III

Post by emerson »

At craft stores, polymer clay is sold in different hardness and many different colors. You can use any single color to make the casting and then probably mix different polymer clays to get the color you want to match the piece or just make it in one color and paint or stain it (I think it is stainable). Buy a polymer clay book that will give you instructions on different uses and techniques. AND of course if you try it and are satisfied or not---POST IT, Good Luck