Victrola XVI - $300 - see photos - lower price! - SOLD!!!

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Victrola XVI - $300 - see photos - lower price! - SOLD!!!

Post by Jerry B. »

I am selling a Victrola XVI that's been in my collection for some time. It's a mahogany machine in good condition. I can deliver it to Union and the price is $300.

Recently, I've listed several large machines for sale on the forum and I've offered to deliver them to Union. If you are going to Union and are interested, please let me know. Space in my truck is at a premium and if there's little or no interest, I won't bring big things to sell. Space for the return trip is too valuable to be taken by a big Victrola XVI that did not sell and has to go back home. Thanks, Jerry
541-990-0781
jerry.blais@yahoo.com
Attachments
IMGP2272.JPG
IMGP2271.JPG
IMGP2274.JPG
IMGP2273.JPG
Last edited by Jerry B. on Tue May 17, 2011 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Victrola XVI - $350 - see photos

Post by Henry »

Nice machine, Jerry. I notice that the motorboard is not hinged, and I'm curious about its orientation in photo 3. I've never seen the speed control dial in the back left corner, always in the right front. Comment?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

take a look at the motor and then picture it in relation to its position once installed in the cabinet... these early XVI's with the vertical column of "berries" or whatever they are on the upper portion of the two front carved corner wings had a really different motor design from the later models. the spring barrels (and crank) were pushed far more toward the front of the machine, so the speed control assembly had to be placed behind, as there was no room toward the front.

that's a really great phonograph though. if it were any closer, I'd be breaking my resolve (no more machines) and it would be sold by now.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

I can understand why Victor re-oriented the speed control: it's harder to see it in the back corner!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I realize that the speed on many disks is not 78 rpm but do many people chance the setting on the speed control once it's set? Edison moved the speed control on the B series and later cylinder players underneath the deck to make it intentionally difficult to change the speed. Jerry B.

Henry
Victor V

Re: Victrola XVI - $300 - see photos - lower price!

Post by Henry »

I do periodically check my XI turntable's speed with the strobe disk, and often find it necessary to make slight adjustments to keep the speed at 78 rpm. I don't know why this periodic readjustment is needed. Maybe PP&L isn't putting out a consistent 60 Hz AC, thus tricking my incandescent bulb and strobe :o . I suppose that there could also be mechanical reasons for speed inconsistencies (e.g., room temperature affecting viscosity of lubricants and effecting slight dimensional changes in moving parts).

I wish I could as easily adjust the tt speed on my Pioneer PL112D!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Thanks Henry, Some of us are machine guys with records. Others a record guys with machines. I'm a machine guy so performance is important but not critical to me. Don't get me wrong, I want my machine to perform as it did when it was built. From my perspective, I'd rather find a nice Vic O rather than a nice Vic II. Thanks, Jerry

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Jerry B. wrote:I realize that the speed on many disks is not 78 rpm but do many people chance the setting on the speed control once it's set? Edison moved the speed control on the B series and later cylinder players underneath the deck to make it intentionally difficult to change the speed. Jerry B.
Well, Edison was pretty consistent about recording speeds: by 1905, not too many people were still playing the old brown waxes.

With lateral discs, it was a different story: even Victor records varied a bit (in spite of their official pronouncements) - a discerning listener would most likely adjust the speed until it sounded 'right'. Even the average owner would notice if a record sounded too 'wrong'.... at least one would think so.

-Bill

recordo
Victor II
Personal Text: "Allow instrument to run whilst winding"

Post by recordo »

if that beautiful machine was in Australia, I'd buy it in an instant!

Regarding speed, I collect records and machines, but with perfect pitch, I find I'm always checking speed. It never needs changing on my later 1920s HMV machines, but the early Junior Monarch from 1904 needs adjusting every single time it's played. The speed mechanism is so delicate that anything movement or bump on the floor boards can upset it!