Edison C4 Phonograph - Radio Combination

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
wjerome72
Victor Jr

Edison C4 Phonograph - Radio Combination

Post by wjerome72 »

We have an Edison C4 Phonograph/Radio that we would like to sell. We are looking for information on the value and channels for selling the unit. We do not know if the unit is in working order, but the cabinet appears to be in excellent condition. The phonograph is in Bristol, CT.
Attachments
IMG_3428.jpg
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3423.jpg
IMG_3429.jpg

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Edison C4 Phonograph - Radio Combination

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Here's a C4 phono-radio that sold on June 7th, 2011:

http://auctions.williambunchauctions.co ... o=++217544

For the entire list click here:

http://auctions.williambunchauctions.co ... tsmenu.asp

I went to look at these phono items, and though there were some bargains, the majority of things had some issues, though minor in many cases. Most of the horns were repainted, and many wood surfaces refinished.
Many items were unsold; I don't know if there were reserves on them.

To the final $1000.00 bid there was a 17-percent buyers "premium" (read: penalty) plus 6-percent PA sales tax on top of this. So without a dealers tax number the C4 in unoperating condition cost $1,2402.00.
The C2 also went for for $1000. The back panel was missing along with the distinctive used needle cup.

I'd guess you get some attention listing this on Ebay, especially if you show lots of good pictures and have an appealingly-low opening bid amount. DON'T plug this in and try to power it up if it hasn't been used recently. Serious buyers may want more info, so consider offering to speak by phone to them for any questions they have. Every old untouched electronic unit needs a thorough inspection/rebuild and collectors must factor in that cost when buying.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I was at that auction too... first one in a while... and was amazed at the prices, which fluctuated all over the place with several machines selling really low while some machines went kind of high (especially factoring in the 6 percent sales tax and 17 percent buyers' premium - which was 20 percent if you used a credit card). the C-2 and C-4 I thought really hit the high end (at more than 1000 each), especially considering how modest so many other prices seemed to be (several cylinder players, standards, homes and firesides for 200 to 300 or less). there was a decent two-door credenza, but considering the additional fees, it went for more than a thousand. and there was a really nice edison shaver, but the price, again with fees, hit closer to 500. and a number of decent horns that should have gone cheap but all ended around 200 or so, while several floor models - X, XI, XIV, XVI, etc - sold for about 100 or less (or were just passed). weird sale... but I wouldn't necessarily use those C-2 and 4 selling prices as a baseline for the one discussed in this thread.

wjerome72
Victor Jr

Post by wjerome72 »

Thanks to everyone that provided advice and made offers on the Edison C4 Radio / Phonograph. We received a couple of very fair offers and the C4 now has a good home with a collector in New Hampshire.