WANTED : HMV 5A or 5B Soundbox....

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
transformingArt
Victor I
Personal Text: Veritas Est Bonus Amicus Mea!

WANTED : HMV 5A or 5B Soundbox....

Post by transformingArt »

I'm not actually a "Yankee", but I think this is the right place for me for asking any of you about this - HMV 5A or 5B Soundboxes in any condition, but without any sound defects.

If you are interested, feel free to send PM to me or send me a email at idea0853@yahoo.com.

Mark.

saxymojo
Victor II

Re: WANTED : HMV 5A or 5B Soundbox....

Post by saxymojo »

Hi

I think you may offend a few people on this site with that term, I have a 5A in very good condition.

Regards Marcel
Australia
Last edited by saxymojo on Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

...well, as an antique phonophile I do admit to having "yanked" a few cranks in my day... :lol: ...so I guess that qualifies me as a Yankee (or is it a Crankee?)

While most of the regular contributors here are from the US, this site draws in collectors from all over the world, so you've come to the right place. Most of the "spare parts" HMV sound boxes, though, are found in the UK and Europe, so you might want to check out some of the other international boards.

[link removed]
http://www.phonoland.com/
Last edited by OrthoFan on Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

Well, this forum was originally started by someone in South Boston (hence the title of this section, probably intended in fun). Just think of all the New England whaling ships and Moby Dick!
Adam

Post by Guest »

I have noticed this UK Website is currently advertising both HMV 5A and 5B Soundboxes (Reproducers) for sale.
http://www.windupgram.co.uk/5A.htm
:D :D :D :D :D

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

Ortho_Fan wrote:...well, as an antique phonophile I do admit to having "yanked" a few cranks in my day... :lol: ...so I guess that qualifies me as a Yankee (or is it a Crankee?)

While most of the regular contributors here are from the US, this site draws in collectors from all over the world, so you've come to the right place. Most of the "spare parts" HMV sound boxes, though, are found in the UK and Europe, so you might want to check out some of the other international boards, such as:

I'd be careful on that first site. I went to it, clicked on a thread about some thorne auction (which was really just an extended rant about "the ring" of phonograph dealers in the UK that allegedly collude among themselves to control the entire market there, at least according to the site's admin), which was fine, then clicked on a second thread about that auction and all sorts of things started happening, couldn't control internet explorer, was being redirected to strange sites and receiving warnings my computer was being infected, etc.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

brianu wrote:
Ortho_Fan wrote:...well, as an antique phonophile I do admit to having "yanked" a few cranks in my day... :lol: ...so I guess that qualifies me as a Yankee (or is it a Crankee?)

While most of the regular contributors here are from the US, this site draws in collectors from all over the world, so you've come to the right place. Most of the "spare parts" HMV sound boxes, though, are found in the UK and Europe, so you might want to check out some of the other international boards, such as:

[link removed]

I'd be careful on that first site. I went to it, clicked on a thread about some thorne auction (which was really just an extended rant about "the ring" of phonograph dealers in the UK that allegedly collude among themselves to control the entire market there, at least according to the site's admin), which was fine, then clicked on a second thread about that auction and all sorts of things started happening, couldn't control internet explorer, was being redirected to strange sites and receiving warnings my computer was being infected, etc.

Hi Brian:

Thanks for the warning. I've only checked out a few posts on the latest incarnation of the UK Gramophone board, and so far, haven't had any problems of the type you've described, but I'm using Firefox with all the anti-redirecting/anti-reloading/anti-popup provisions enabled, so it's possible that this might have prevented it from happening.

I'd say, with this in mind, the site would best be avoided for now.

I know that a couple of member of this board also post there, so perhaps they can let the site's administrator know that his forum has been hacked or infested.

In the meantime, I've amended my above post to reflect this.

Again, many thanks.

OF

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Guest wrote:I have noticed this UK Website is currently advertising both HMV 5A and 5B Soundboxes (Reproducers) for sale.
http://www.windupgram.co.uk/5A.htm
:D :D :D :D :D
Hmmm, not sure I'd trust someone to properly recondition a soundbox when they list the re-entrants as 163, 193, 194, 203 & 204. :monkey:

Personally, I'd recommend contacting Marcel (saxymojo) first.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I notice the site "guest" posted the link to has now changed the model numbers to the correct ones, so I thougt I'd post this screen capture, just so anyone reading my above post doesn't think I was imagining it :)

Perhaps Mr Sleep should wake up & remove (or update) the dead link to Mike Child's site of record labels, and change the stated speed of 80rpm for early Pathé records to 90-100rpm, while he's busy making his site more accurate? :lol:
You even recommend people smeer WD40 on their records :shock:

Dont take a gamble with dealers who obviously dont know what they're talking about.
Attachments
hmv 203-204.jpg