A-250 Diamond Disk available at a local auction.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

A-250 Diamond Disk available at a local auction.

Post by Jerry B. »

There's an Edison A-250 Diamond Disk that will be selling this Friday, July 15th, at a nearby auction. It's a early example in mahogany with the sound slots in the side. The serial number is 2,xxx and it comes with a adaptor for playing 78s. I did not see the DD reproducer and there are some cosmetic blemishes on the lid. I can deliver it to CAPS for a tank of diesel or hold it for next years Union event. I do not plan to attend the auction unless someone shows some interest. I would prefer a phone call at 541-926-2843 Pacific time zone. Thanks, Jerry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Re: A-250 Diamond Disk available at a local auction.

Post by Jerry B. »

I thought there would be more interest in this. I go the CAPS and Union every year. That covers about half of the country. Jerry

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

It sold for $285.

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

... hopefully to you? or at least hopefully to someone who will appreciate it. I'm in the middle of a move and downsizing (and I'm on the opposite coast), but it's too bad someone closer and more settled couldn't have picked this one up.

hopefully this doesn't deter you from continuing to offer such machines on the forum like this, because it really is appreciated even if it's not always acted upon.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

I didn't buy it because I already have a nice example and nobody gave me any idea what it was worth to them. I thought it was worth around $600 but I don't have room or desire for a second one. I tried to make it possible get it into the hands of an interested collector by offering to take it to Union or CAPS. Don't worry, I'll continue to throw things out there for interested collectors. Thanks, Jerry

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Jerry B. wrote:I didn't buy it because I already have a nice example and nobody gave me any idea what it was worth to them. I thought it was worth around $600 but I don't have room or desire for a second one. I tried to make it possible get it into the hands of an interested collector by offering to take it to Union or CAPS. Don't worry, I'll continue to throw things out there for interested collectors. Thanks, Jerry
Thanks Jerry for continuing to throw things like this our way. You found a pretty significant machine. If I did not have a(some) good example(s)I would have jumped at it. :monkey:

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

After rereading some of my previous posts about the A-250 I feel like I should explain my frustration. I tried to get people to call me so I could give a detailed description of the machine. I received several email requests for photos as soon as I had the machine but very few phone calls. It's my opinion that it's very easy to hoodwink a prospective buyer buyer with just photos. Photos may be important but they tend to make something look better than it really is. I've collected for 40 years and I think my descriptions are pretty accurate. I would have loved to get that A-250 into the hands of a forum member. Happy collecting, Jerry Blais

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Jerry, First, I am new to collecting phonographs. Most of the time I ignore anything that doesn't have a price. I don't have deep pockets and the amount of "extra" cash I have available to invest in this hobby is limited. My experience with auctions is that normally they exceed what I can afford, so I don't pay much attention. If I knew that I could buy that phonograph for under $300, I probably would have shown much more interest. BTW if you ever run across one of those machines in an Oak cabinet for about the same money, I would be VERY interested. I'm in western Washington so I could come visit you to pick up such a machine ;-)