Columbia Viva Tonal 810

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
James
Victor I

Columbia Viva Tonal 810

Post by James »

WANTED; COLUMBIA VIVA TONAL 810, in perfect, near to mint condition, Toronto area Canada with in 100 km radius. Quote me the price.
Thanks....Jim

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Viva Tonal 810

Post by Uncle Vanya »

That is a pretty tall order, as the distribution system for the Columbia machines was in a shambles by 1926, and the large machines sold very poorly. I particularly like these behemoths, and happen to have two spare examples of the walnut 800, which actually seems to be a bit harder to find than the decorated 810. I am in Southern MI, but can arrange to get a machine across the Bridge.

I myself am looking for any of several Canadian Victor Orthophonic machines among which are the VV 8-10, the VV 5-1 and VV 5-30, and the RCA V-30.

James
Victor I

Post by James »

Uncle Vanya wrote:That is a pretty tall order, as the distribution system for the Columbia machines was in a shambles by 1926, and the large machines sold very poorly. I particularly like these behemoths, and happen to have two spare examples of the walnut 800, which actually seems to be a bit harder to find than the decorated 810. I am in Southern MI, but can arrange to get a machine across the Bridge.

I myself am looking for any of several Canadian Victor Orthophonic machines among which are the VV 8-10, the VV 5-1 and VV 5-30, and the RCA V-30.
I am still definite with the Columbia Viva Tonal 810. I have a Brunswick Panartope Cortez, and a Victor Orthothonic Credenza, so I must have the 810, so they are all top of the line. Just for curiosity, how much is the walnut 800?
I once live in Saginaw, Michigan for three years long time ago.

I can also help you with Victor Orthophonic Cerdenza.

James

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

James wrote:
Uncle Vanya wrote:That is a pretty tall order, as the distribution system for the Columbia machines was in a shambles by 1926, and the large machines sold very poorly. I particularly like these behemoths, and happen to have two spare examples of the walnut 800, which actually seems to be a bit harder to find than the decorated 810. I am in Southern MI, but can arrange to get a machine across the Bridge.

I am still definite with the Columbia Viva Tonal 810. I have a Brunswick Panartope Cortez, and a Victor Orthothonic Credenza, so I must have the 810, so they are all top of the line. Just for curiosity, how much is the walnut 800?

James
Thank you, James.

The 800 and the 810 are the same machine, save for the finish. Rather akin to the difference betwixt a VV 8-30 and a VV 8-30 TLP. The Columbia 800/810 is a really nice machine with a interesting sound, sort of an amalgam of the better points of the Victrola Credenza, with it's rich bass, and the midrange clarity offered by the Brunswick Cortez. I am certain that you will find it well worth your while to put together the group of top-of-the-line machines from the major manufacturers, as each model complements it's own records, and expresses an individual acoustic philosophy. After you acquire the Columbia that you seek you might consider adding one of the folded metal horn Victrola machines (such as a VV 8-35 or a VV 8-9) to your wish list. These very late machines have a horn as long as that of the Credenza, and offer exceptional bass response, but in addition they posses a clarity ini their reproduction of midrange and treble which is nothing short of breathtaking, when equipped with a good reproducer. These metal-horned machines are not flattering to worn records as would be the Credenza or 8-30.

Although I lost eight Credenza and 8-30 machines in my late fire I still have a couple of good examples and so must decline your kind offer.

James
Victor I

Post by James »

Uncle Vanya wrote:
James wrote:

James

Uncle Vanya,
You know where to contact me if you have a change of mind, that is if I haven't acquire an 810. There is one member of ouc club, who might be parting with it, but can't make up his mind, and he lives half an hour from my house.

James
Thank you, James.

The 800 and the 810 are the same machine, save for the finish. Rather akin to the difference betwixt a VV 8-30 and a VV 8-30 TLP. The Columbia 800/810 is a really nice machine with a interesting sound, sort of an amalgam of the better points of the Victrola Credenza, with it's rich bass, and the midrange clarity offered by the Brunswick Cortez. I am certain that you will find it well worth your while to put together the group of top-of-the-line machines from the major manufacturers, as each model complements it's own records, and expresses an individual acoustic philosophy. After you acquire the Columbia that you seek you might consider adding one of the folded metal horn Victrola machines (such as a VV 8-35 or a VV 8-9) to your wish list. These very late machines have a horn as long as that of the Credenza, and offer exceptional bass response, but in addition they posses a clarity ini their reproduction of midrange and treble which is nothing short of breathtaking, when equipped with a good reproducer. These metal-horned machines are not flattering to worn records as would be the Credenza or 8-30.

Although I lost eight Credenza and 8-30 machines in my late fire I still have a couple of good examples and so must decline your kind offer.