Victor 6 / VTLA / L Door motor for sale $800

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Victor 6 / VTLA / L Door motor for sale $800

Post by phonogfp »

brianu wrote:
Jerry B. wrote:I've collected for a long time but you'll have to bring me up to speed. What's the "flip flop"? Jerry

look at the photo again.
Back when I was a kid, my mom called those "thongs." Not so much anymore...

George P.

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Is it really a Victor 6 with the yielding turntable??
Or a later L-door model with out?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Skihawx, The Vic VI came with both an earlier motor and the one posted for sale on the Forum. The earlier one is similar to the motors in the Vic MS and D. The later Vic VIs came with the motor posted in the Trader section. The same motor was found in the "L" door machines as well as the XIV that I have for sale. Jerry Blais

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

But all the L door models do not have the yielding turntable. But all the
Victor Vi's have the yielding turntable whether they are bevel drive or
spiral drive motors.

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Yes. In addition, I would suspect that a fair portion of the value of that $1000 motor lay in the cast iron balancing turntable, which appeared to have good (though dirty) original felt.

Skihawx, do you know whether there were any V-VI machines sold with the pressed-steel balancing turntables?

I do wonder what sort of turntable was fitted to the motor in this listing.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I checked my later Vic VI and then checked seven other early Victrolas that have spindle caps and the motors were the same. It must be safe to say that most "L" door Victrolas have the later Vic VI motor. "L" door Victrolas that don't have a yielding turntable must have the very desirable Vic V motor. Is that correct? Thanks, Jerry

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

No. Many of the later (1910-1912) VV-XVI machines are fitted with a sheet steel turntable which COULD rock like the balancing turntable save for the
Presence of a turntable nut with an extra-thick rim. Then machines whic are later still use a ordinary sheet steel turntable, though some are fitted with spindles that have two pin holes, so that either thic boss or cast iron turntables could be used.

I've noticed a number of later V-V machines which appear to have been equipped at the factory with the balancing turntable. All of these have had the five-piece motor board nd the late (Japanese character) identification tag.
Last edited by Uncle Vanya on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

The asking price seems very steep to me. I sold one of these about 10 years ago for about $100. Maybe I cheated myself???

It seems that as soon as somebody pays a ridiculous price for something on ebay, that becomes the "going rate."

I remember when somebody paid over $500 for a brass Orthophonic reproducer on ebay, so some sellers thought that was the going rate. I don't think so.

I'm disappointed that some folks on this board seem to be in the hobby just to make a quick buck. :( Just my opinion. You are welcome to your own.
Best regards ... AZ*

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Skihawx wrote:Is it really a Victor 6 with the yielding turntable??
Or a later L-door model with out?
It has the yeilding turntable and came from an L door. It would fit the late version Vic 6 case.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

AZ,

I think you should know by now that I am not just "out to make a buck" from the phonograph hobby. I have bought and sold items here, learned new things, and contributed to discussions when I felt qualified to do so. I base my pricing on recent Ebay sales to gauge market value. If my item does not sell in a reasonable timeframe, I lower my price accordingly. In addition if you read my earlier post in the thread, there are many board members that I would be willing to work with if there is a need for the motor. This is just an attempt to sell the motor outside of feebay if possible first. Its as simple as that.