Going rate for a Credenza? And where it went from there.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Going rate for a Credenza? And where it went from there.

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Looks great!

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Brandon wrote:Looks great!
Thanks! I have a bit more in it that it is probably worth, what with all the work it required, but I am really happy with it and it should now be in first rate condition mechanically as well as cosmetically. I have wanted to add a Credenza to my little collection for awhile and plan to play it regularly.

By the way, it looks more glossy in the picture than it actually is due to the flash. I worked with the restorer to keep a satin finish similar to what was originally there. It is a completely new exterior finish because of the poor state it was in and because it had unfortunately had a lot of silicone based furniture polish applied to it in the past, which makes restoration of the original finish very difficult.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Victrolaman
Victor II

Post by Victrolaman »

Clay he did a great job, love it! My first credenza I ever got the finish was all gone, you could wipe it off with your hand it was dry as dust. You got it for a good price, I paid 200 for a nice VE credenza a few months ago and my other one with a brass reproducer was a early 4 door model from late 1925, came with 300 or so records and binders and record cabinet I got all that for 250
I'm like you I don't care so much for resale value, to me it's more to keep this great stuff alive and bringing it back to life. Great credenza, would love to hear it if you have it on YouTube, let me know

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

OK, finally got a video I'm fairly happy with and have deleted the earlier efforts. Lighting is better and using a mid-tone instead of a loud-tone needle got rid of most of the distortion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHx9aIhD ... ture=g-upl

Doing a video project for the first time has been kind of fun, but there is definitely a learning curve to it. Hopefully they will continue to improve for future projects, but it is a wrap on this one.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Nice, Clay! Beautiful machine. You chose an excellent recording to show off the extended frequency range of the Orthophonic system. BTW, the arrangement emphasizes the fact that the St. Louis Blues is really a tango: note the short-long-short long-long rhythm (ta-dah-ta dah-dah). That's in the original sheet music, as W.C.Handy wrote it.