Going rate for a Credenza? And where it went from there.

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
FloridaClay
Victor VI

Going rate for a Credenza? And where it went from there.

Post by FloridaClay »

Ladies and Gents, what, in your opinion, would be the average current going rate for a 4-door Credenza, pot metal reproducer, spring motor, playing and in average condition--not pristine, but not a basket case either?

Clay
Last edited by FloridaClay on Tue May 15, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Going rate for a Credenza?

Post by bbphonoguy »

I'm supposing about $300, but this is without seeing any photos, and is just my own gut reaction to what I'd be willing to pay for a desirable, but still pretty easily found, machine.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Prices vary a lot and you will get many opinions. Does "average condition" imply complete, undamaged, no missing parts? If so, a machine like that would be considered to be above average.

Many "average condition" Credenzas have broken tone-arm brackets, damaged grille cloth, cracked reproducer, or missing bun feet. You could easily spend several hundred dollars restoring an as-found machine. A more pristine example could actually be a better value.
Best regards ... AZ*

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I paid $400 for mine, in really great shape except for needing a reproducer (pot metal, but no cracks or splits) re-build and general cleaning. I don't begrudge a penny of that - what a machine!

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

it's certainly possible to randomly see or find a credenza on ebay or craigslist for a few hundred bucks, but you don't necessarily know what you're getting and they'll typically require some work - on top of transportation, which with such a large and heavy machine can become pretty costly. the work/restoration itself can be expensive... having a reproducer or motor properly rebuilt (if you can't do it yourself), repairing/replacing the often cracked or broken pot metal tonearm support bracket or those notoriously problematic bun feet... among other things. I recently sold a clean early two-door version, of the sort designated "credenza" on the id plate, in completely original condition (down to the grill cloth and turntable felt), and with a walt somers ortho reproducer (the sort with combined original components and brass cast replacements for any pot metal pieces, all expertly assembled by walt) for about a thousand. it was my primary player for several years, but had become too large and heavy to keep moving around (from one apt to the next). I was sorry to see it go.

Rexophone
Victor I

Post by Rexophone »

The other end of the scale would be my fixer-up Credenza that I recently bought for $150. It was new-old-stock, but sat in a leaky warehouse for years. It required extensive regluing of veneers, refinishing, and replacement tone arm and reproducer from my parts collection. The good news is that the motor was basically brand new. It would have not been worth the labor except for the novelty that I'm essentially the first user of the machine.

Steve

premis2
Victor Jr

Post by premis2 »

I purchased my 8-30 Credenza for $300 last September. Had spent it's life indoors having never been in storage. The Credenza has excellent stable pot metal in both the reproducer and the tone arm overhang. Sounds fabulous

If you have the funds this is the time to fill your want lists.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Slightly off topic, but I wonder why Victor went from the self supporting arm to the back bracket. My self supporting arm works beautifully.

Rexophone
Victor I

Post by Rexophone »

I never could figure that out. I noticed that the earlier Credenzas seemed to use the self supporting arm. The later ones reverted to the pin. Is the self supporting harder to seal?

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Update.

OK, as it often turns out when you go and look things are not as good as the seller says they are. It is a mixed bag.

The good news is that just about everything is there and the reproducer has no cracks in the back that I can see and no holes in the diaphragm. The cabinet is all intact, including the bun feet, save for one chip out of the front base.

The bad news is that the small aluminum plate that goes toward the back of the speed dial (minor problem) and all the door knobs (not so minor because of replacement cost) are missing. The cabinet will need a full refinish outside. The grille cloth will need replacing. The turntable felt is destroyed. The motor will require a full overhaul and replacement of one or more springs.

So I have a project ahead. Even so, I got it for $200 + $71 delivery charge (basically $1 a mile one way, so quite reasonable), so I can afford to put into it what I need to put in to it.

I want to make sure I get the correct door knobs. One source has sent me this picture. Are they correct for a 4-door Credenza?

Clay
Attachments
knobs.JPG
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.