how much would a wrecked opera cost?

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

how much would a wrecked opera cost?

Post by kirtley2012 »

i have recently bought a ediphone shaver that has been mounted in a edison opera case, if i were ever to find a edison opera motor, bedplate and upper works i would mount it in the case

what would a opera motor, bed plate and upper works cost (with or without reproducer and horn) or even entire operas in ruined condition with a case beyond repair and rusty/damaged upper works
let me know
Alex

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: how much would a wrecked opera cost?

Post by Jerry B. »

I am always cautious when I look at an Opera because the same basic mechanism is found in an Amberola 1-A or III. A few years ago, one of the dealers at the CAPS sale had an Opera like machine made from an Amberola mechanism. Jerry B.

USlakeside
Victor III

Post by USlakeside »

The problem probably is that a parts machine would cost so much to properly restore. The repainting is tricky, and essential to have it maintain integrity. If I were you Kirtley2012, I would hang on to the case, and if by chance you find the piece later on complete it. I know the impulse is to find super cheap bargins, but keep in mind that if you hold out and save up, you may get a nice complete solid machine that is far more enjoyable. Not to say restoring machines isnt fun too, but I found over the years that I rather have original pieces and that I wasted some of my resources accumulating projects that never got finished when if I had left the cash in the bank I could have snagged that one or two machines I chanced on.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

I think I will try and accumulate parts for a opera starting with the biggest or opera parts machines to complete the case

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I suppose it depends what your definition of wrecked is. My definition of wrecked is something that can not be restored, and may only be useful for salvaging a few parts from.
I would image a complete but poor condition Opera works (minus reproducer) would be somewhere around $1000 if you could find one.
The problem with a lot of less common complete motors for any high end phonograph is that most end up in the hands of dealers who strip them down & sell the parts separately because they can often double their money doing it.

In the same situation, I would contact George Vollema at Great Lakes Antique Phonographs & ask if he has any complete Opera works in stock, & if so about condition & prices.
George (or anyone else for that matter) isn't going to sell something like this dirt cheap just because you're 14 yrs old, but George is one of the few dealers I would ever deal with because he seems to have a genuine interest in seeing machines being completed rather than being in it for the money, so his prices are always FAIR, and from my limited experience you'll pay George a lot less than you'd pay on ebay for the same thing.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Shane, I second you high opinion of George V. I have been using him for awhile now. The service is great and it is just amazing what he can come up with.

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

well i may give him a go for parts!
out of interest, how much would the ediphone motor cost?

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Ediphone "Ekonowatt" motor, Perhaps $25.00-$40.00. Square Edison Business Phonograph motor, Well, I haven't yet found one for under $400.00, and I've been looking pretty actively for several years, now.

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

well what one is for this shaver?, i hope its the cheaper one!
Alex
Attachments
Ediphone shaver 002.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Umm, that ain't not Opera case Alex. I think it's better!
It appears to be an IDELIA case but it's hard to tell from the photo. Can you post a picture of the cabinet front on?
You could buy at least 3 Opera's for the price of 1 Idelia.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Sat May 12, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.